Mar 17, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Another fantastic weekend of Irish athletics events are in the books. On top of victories from the men’s lacrosse team over No. 7 Virginia and hockey’s two wins over No. 2 Boston College, the Irish made their mark on the national stage once again.
Seeing that it is St. Patrick’s Day, check out Sports Illustrated’s top photos of the “Fighting Irish.”
In alumni news, former baseball star Brant Ust was named the Notre Dame Monogram Club Executive Director earlier this morning. To read more about Ust, click here.
Lastly, coming off a NCAA Title in 2013, Harrison Shipp was signed by the Chicago Fire through their development program. On Sunday, Shipp registered his first career start for the Fire, slotting in at left midfield in a 1-1 tie with Portland Timbers. Shipp went the full 90 minutes in the match.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Hockey – Irish Knock Off #2 BC (One Foot Down)
For the first time in school history, the Irish defeated Boston College on three occasions during one season. Additionally, Notre Dame advanced to the semifinals of the Hockey East Tournament in its first year of the partnership. Click the link above to read more.
- 2. Football – Tate’s Life Lessons (Lansing State Journal)
Former Notre Dame wide receiver Golden Tate has moved on to Detroit after winning the Super Bowl at the end of last season with the Seattle Seahawks. His move was more calculated than most thought when they heard about the signing. Click the link above to read more.
- 3. Men’s Lacrosse – Irish Down Visiting Cavaliers (Lax Power)
Notre Dame kept their record unblemished in the ACC after defeating No. 7 Virginia. Click the link above to read more.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
Don't forget to pinch the people who aren't wearing green! pic.twitter.com/gcnbOoPc3h
— Morgan Andrews (@MorganEAndrews) March 17, 2014
One of my most hated days of the year, mainly because I always don’t like being a follower.
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
Personally, I’ve never seen the movie “Frozen,” but I’m told this song is a big deal.
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
Question: The Irish women’s basketball team is expected to receive another top-seed in its run to the Final Four in 2014. When was the last time a Notre Dame squad received four-straight top seeds in the NCAA Championship?
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in tomorrow’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Previous Question: As the Irish hockey team departs for Chestnut Hill (Mass.) today for a Hockey East quarterfinal matchup with Boston College, we ask the question – when was the last time Notre Dame beat Boston College twice in one season? ANSWER: The 1971-72 season, when the Irish Icers beat BC 14-3 and 7-4 in Chicago, Ill., and New York, N.Y., respectively.
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- We know who we're voting for! 👇 👀 @NDmbb #GoIrish twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 58 minutes ago
- ☘️ @NDFootball's Nic Weishar has been nominated for the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team. Meet Nic and his family as… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 14 hours ago
- Those #NDFamily vibes are strong! 💪 You heard @NDFootball! Vote @ndwbb for Best Play at the @ESPYS! VOTE 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 16 hours ago
- What year did @NDFootball squad travel to Baltimore for its first game against the @NavyFB? #TriviaTuesday #GoIrish 18 hours ago
- On #WorldEmojiDay, tell us about your Irish fandom in emojis! ☘️💚 #GoIrish https://t.co/OZM5gWXex4 22 hours ago