Mar 17, 2014, 11:25 AM EST
Another fantastic weekend of Irish athletics events are in the books. On top of victories from the men’s lacrosse team over No. 7 Virginia and hockey’s two wins over No. 2 Boston College, the Irish made their mark on the national stage once again.
Seeing that it is St. Patrick’s Day, check out Sports Illustrated’s top photos of the “Fighting Irish.”
In alumni news, former baseball star Brant Ust was named the Notre Dame Monogram Club Executive Director earlier this morning. To read more about Ust, click here.
Lastly, coming off a NCAA Title in 2013, Harrison Shipp was signed by the Chicago Fire through their development program. On Sunday, Shipp registered his first career start for the Fire, slotting in at left midfield in a 1-1 tie with Portland Timbers. Shipp went the full 90 minutes in the match.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Hockey – Irish Knock Off #2 BC (One Foot Down)
For the first time in school history, the Irish defeated Boston College on three occasions during one season. Additionally, Notre Dame advanced to the semifinals of the Hockey East Tournament in its first year of the partnership. Click the link above to read more.
- 2. Football – Tate’s Life Lessons (Lansing State Journal)
Former Notre Dame wide receiver Golden Tate has moved on to Detroit after winning the Super Bowl at the end of last season with the Seattle Seahawks. His move was more calculated than most thought when they heard about the signing. Click the link above to read more.
- 3. Men’s Lacrosse – Irish Down Visiting Cavaliers (Lax Power)
Notre Dame kept their record unblemished in the ACC after defeating No. 7 Virginia. Click the link above to read more.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
Don't forget to pinch the people who aren't wearing green! pic.twitter.com/gcnbOoPc3h
— Morgan Andrews (@MorganEAndrews) March 17, 2014
One of my most hated days of the year, mainly because I always don’t like being a follower.
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
Personally, I’ve never seen the movie “Frozen,” but I’m told this song is a big deal.
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
Question: The Irish women’s basketball team is expected to receive another top-seed in its run to the Final Four in 2014. When was the last time a Notre Dame squad received four-straight top seeds in the NCAA Championship?
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in tomorrow’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Previous Question: As the Irish hockey team departs for Chestnut Hill (Mass.) today for a Hockey East quarterfinal matchup with Boston College, we ask the question – when was the last time Notre Dame beat Boston College twice in one season? ANSWER: The 1971-72 season, when the Irish Icers beat BC 14-3 and 7-4 in Chicago, Ill., and New York, N.Y., respectively.
- Baseball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
- Softball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
- M. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Wins Over Kentucky, Cleveland State
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame's 16-Game Winning Streak Ends Against Wisconsin
- Fencing. Irish Close Out Weekend With Wins In Philly
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Clemson, 90-37
- M. Soccer. Sunday Brunch: The Riley Era-Long Time in the Making
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- At Notre Dame, head coach Theresa Romagnolo stressed the importance of the #NDFamily. We now wish her well as she… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 57 minutes ago
- No. 1️⃣ @NDHockey No. 1️⃣ @NDFencing No. 5️⃣ @ndwbb Three Irish teams with top-🖐 rankings = plenty of reasons to l… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Life comes at you fast. But sometimes, @NDFootball's Te'von Coney comes at you faster. #GoIrish https://t.co/UdpGzTqlHG 2 hours ago
- After No. 5 @ndwbb earned its largest ACC win in program history, @NDSportsBlogger caught up with Kat Westbeld, who… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Junior Alex Lebedev moved to 4-0 in his career at No. 1 singles as @NDMensTennis downed Kentucky and Cleveland Stat… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago