Mar 17, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Another fantastic weekend of Irish athletics events are in the books. On top of victories from the men’s lacrosse team over No. 7 Virginia and hockey’s two wins over No. 2 Boston College, the Irish made their mark on the national stage once again.
Seeing that it is St. Patrick’s Day, check out Sports Illustrated’s top photos of the “Fighting Irish.”
In alumni news, former baseball star Brant Ust was named the Notre Dame Monogram Club Executive Director earlier this morning. To read more about Ust, click here.
Lastly, coming off a NCAA Title in 2013, Harrison Shipp was signed by the Chicago Fire through their development program. On Sunday, Shipp registered his first career start for the Fire, slotting in at left midfield in a 1-1 tie with Portland Timbers. Shipp went the full 90 minutes in the match.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Hockey – Irish Knock Off #2 BC (One Foot Down)
For the first time in school history, the Irish defeated Boston College on three occasions during one season. Additionally, Notre Dame advanced to the semifinals of the Hockey East Tournament in its first year of the partnership. Click the link above to read more.
- 2. Football – Tate’s Life Lessons (Lansing State Journal)
Former Notre Dame wide receiver Golden Tate has moved on to Detroit after winning the Super Bowl at the end of last season with the Seattle Seahawks. His move was more calculated than most thought when they heard about the signing. Click the link above to read more.
- 3. Men’s Lacrosse – Irish Down Visiting Cavaliers (Lax Power)
Notre Dame kept their record unblemished in the ACC after defeating No. 7 Virginia. Click the link above to read more.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
Don't forget to pinch the people who aren't wearing green! pic.twitter.com/gcnbOoPc3h
— Morgan Andrews (@MorganEAndrews) March 17, 2014
One of my most hated days of the year, mainly because I always don’t like being a follower.
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
Personally, I’ve never seen the movie “Frozen,” but I’m told this song is a big deal.
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
Question: The Irish women’s basketball team is expected to receive another top-seed in its run to the Final Four in 2014. When was the last time a Notre Dame squad received four-straight top seeds in the NCAA Championship?
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in tomorrow’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Previous Question: As the Irish hockey team departs for Chestnut Hill (Mass.) today for a Hockey East quarterfinal matchup with Boston College, we ask the question – when was the last time Notre Dame beat Boston College twice in one season? ANSWER: The 1971-72 season, when the Irish Icers beat BC 14-3 and 7-4 in Chicago, Ill., and New York, N.Y., respectively.
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
- Track & Field. Nathan Richartz Named ACC Field Performer Of The Week
- Softball. Irish And Western Michigan Game Rescheduled For April 17
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Set To Host Michigan In Midweek Matchup
- M. Basketball. Matt Farrell Invited To All-Star Three-Point Challenge
- Baseball. Notre Dame Hosts NIU in Home Opener
- General News. Social Rewind: @ndwbb vs. Villanova - NCAA Tournament
- M. Basketball. Final Words
- Fencing. Kiefer Snares Bronze At FIE Grand Prix
- M. Lacrosse. Sexton And Wynne Named ACC Players Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- After @NDHockey won the Big Ten Tournament title came the celebrations! 🎉 Take an inside look at the Irish win bef… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
- After @ndwbb advanced to its NINTH straight #Sweet16, @MuffetMcGraw takes you inside the locker room with the Irish… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- "Enjoy this, but there are even more prizes ahead." With a Big Ten Tournament title under their belts, go behind-t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- Before @NDLacrosse takes on Michigan on Wednesday at 4 p.m., take an inside look 👀 back at the top-10 win vs. Virgi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- The lines are painted. The dugouts are set. The popcorn's popped. @NDBaseball is back, Tuesday at 6 p.m. ET on AC… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago