Mar 18, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
No Irish squad played yesterday, but that doesn’t mean Notre Dame was without news.
Topping everything else yesterday was Monday’s NCAA Women’s Basketball Selection Show. The Irish copped a top seeding once again after a 32-0 record. Notre Dame will begin their journey to a fourth-straight Final Four on Saturday in Toledo, Ohio.
Fresh off beating Boston College in the Hockey East Quarterfinals, Stephen Johns was honored as the Hockey East Co-Defensive Player of the Week after holding the high-powered BC offense to an average of 2.67 goals per game in the series and tallying four points (three goals, one assist).
Lastly, former Notre Dame baseball standout and 1998 third-team All-American Brant Ust was named the Notre Dame Monogram Club’s Executive Director on Monday. Ust, will be leaving his position as the director of the U-18 national team and director of Alumni Relations at USA Baseball.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Hockey – Hockey East Team Capsules (SB Nation)
As the Irish continue their run in the Hockey East Championship, they will face No. 2 seed UMASS-Lowell on Friday in Boston for the right to play in the title game. Click the link above to read more about the four teams left in the tournament.
- 2. Football – QB Style Differences (One Foot Down)
The group at One Foot Down did an in-depth look at the throwing motions of Malik Zaire and Everett Golson. This is a great piece if you like to look at the intricacies of the game. Click the link above to read more.
- 3. Football – Irish WR Becoming Pro Off The Field (South Bend Tribune)
Former Notre Dame wide receiver Daniel Smith has begun his career away from the football field. However, he hasn’t shut the door on returning to the gridiron in the future. Click the link above to read about his new endeavor and what the future holds for the local product.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
— Leigh Torbin (@LTorbin) March 17, 2014
Gosh, the JACC looks pretty good in this photo…
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
Beating Boston College is great. Taking them down in the Hockey East Championship Quarterfinals is even better…
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
Question: Irish hockey head coach Jeff Jackson notched his 200th win at Notre Dame earlier in the season. Can you name the other Notre Dame head coach who has eclipsed that mark during his tenure with hockey?
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in tomorrow’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Previous Question: The Irish women’s basketball team is expected to receive another top-seed in its run to the Final Four in 2014. When was the last time a Notre Dame squad received four-straight top seeds in the NCAA Championship? ANSWER: Never.
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
- Track. Irish Close Record-Setting Day at Baylor
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Earn No. 4 Seed In ACC Tournament
- M. Golf. Golfers Conclude ACCs in 10th
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Football ‘Process’ Ongoing
- Softball. UVA Spoils Irish Afternoon On Day One
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- What's it like to compete in the Olympics? @NDRowing's FIRST Olympic Gold Medalist Amanda Polk knows! Watch/Donat… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- ☘ Who had the #1 play last weekend? Reeds' Homer (@NDSoftball) Gray's Senior Day Goal (@NDlacrosse) Williams' 38-y… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- ⚾️@NDBaseball & @Orioles Trey Mancini... Is the 3rd MLB player since 1913 to hit 7 HRs in his 1st 12 games. Donat… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- From the Frozen Four ➡️ Team USA Goalie Cal Petersen shares how he's led @NDHockey as a captain. Watch/Donate:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- ☘@NDSoftball Strike Out Cancer Weekend begins 4/29. Join Coach Gumpf in the fight against pediatric cancer. Donat… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago