Mar 18, 2014, 9:58 AM EST
No Irish squad played yesterday, but that doesn’t mean Notre Dame was without news.
Topping everything else yesterday was Monday’s NCAA Women’s Basketball Selection Show. The Irish copped a top seeding once again after a 32-0 record. Notre Dame will begin their journey to a fourth-straight Final Four on Saturday in Toledo, Ohio.
Fresh off beating Boston College in the Hockey East Quarterfinals, Stephen Johns was honored as the Hockey East Co-Defensive Player of the Week after holding the high-powered BC offense to an average of 2.67 goals per game in the series and tallying four points (three goals, one assist).
Lastly, former Notre Dame baseball standout and 1998 third-team All-American Brant Ust was named the Notre Dame Monogram Club’s Executive Director on Monday. Ust, will be leaving his position as the director of the U-18 national team and director of Alumni Relations at USA Baseball.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Hockey – Hockey East Team Capsules (SB Nation)
As the Irish continue their run in the Hockey East Championship, they will face No. 2 seed UMASS-Lowell on Friday in Boston for the right to play in the title game. Click the link above to read more about the four teams left in the tournament.
- 2. Football – QB Style Differences (One Foot Down)
The group at One Foot Down did an in-depth look at the throwing motions of Malik Zaire and Everett Golson. This is a great piece if you like to look at the intricacies of the game. Click the link above to read more.
- 3. Football – Irish WR Becoming Pro Off The Field (South Bend Tribune)
Former Notre Dame wide receiver Daniel Smith has begun his career away from the football field. However, he hasn’t shut the door on returning to the gridiron in the future. Click the link above to read about his new endeavor and what the future holds for the local product.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
— Leigh Torbin (@LTorbin) March 17, 2014
Gosh, the JACC looks pretty good in this photo…
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
Beating Boston College is great. Taking them down in the Hockey East Championship Quarterfinals is even better…
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
Question: Irish hockey head coach Jeff Jackson notched his 200th win at Notre Dame earlier in the season. Can you name the other Notre Dame head coach who has eclipsed that mark during his tenure with hockey?
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in tomorrow’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Previous Question: The Irish women’s basketball team is expected to receive another top-seed in its run to the Final Four in 2014. When was the last time a Notre Dame squad received four-straight top seeds in the NCAA Championship? ANSWER: Never.
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Remain In The Hunt At OSU Fall Invite
- M. Ice Hockey. Morrison Tallies Overtime Winner As #4 Irish Down RPI 1-0
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 8️⃣ @NDFootball took down Navy in the final home game of the 2017 season at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish https://t.co/QQUR9IWSog 6 hours ago
- Celebrating Senior Day the best way we know how, on the field with our friends and family. #GoIrish https://t.co/ItoEJgeRWd 7 hours ago
- That’ll do it from Notre Dame Stadium, where @NDFootball defeats Navy, 24-17! Next up, Stanford. #GoIrish https://t.co/9ytOGrfW8p 9 hours ago
- Proud to stand with our friends from the Naval Academy during their alma mater. Thank you, always, for your servic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Gold always looks best in the fourth quarter. #GoIrish https://t.co/vbQmCNfrOF 9 hours ago