Mar 20, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
Anna Gonzalez, the official 2013-14 hockey beat writer for the Irish UNDerground blog, is currently a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame. Over the course of the year Anna will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Anna (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
Coming from Livonia, Mich., a suburb of Motown, USA, Mike Voran has been a key member of the Irish offensive lineup for his four seasons at Notre Dame. After fighting back from multiple injuries over his career, the senior right wing has made his impression as a play-maker and penalty-killer. Here’s the two minutes with Mike Voran.
If someone wrote a book about you, what would it be called? (While most guys take a little bit to think about it, Voran came prepared with his biography title.) “Floatin: The True Story of a Locker Room Guy.” I knew that question was coming, so I’ve been thinking about it.
If you didn’t play hockey, what sport would you play? Golf
If you had a time machine, when would you go to? I’m a big fan of the 1920s, like prohibition. I’d be a gangster.
Who would play you in your biopic? Hopefully Vince Vaughn, even though he’s a little taller than me.
What would be the perfect day for you? Sleep in ’til about noon, wake up, have a nice, big meal probably from Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, catch a quick nap, wake up, and go to a Redwings game.
When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? I always wanted to be a magician for some reason. I don’t know why, but I loved magic!
If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it? I’d probably give a decent amount to my parents to pay them back for all they’ve done for me, and then I’d get a big group of my friends and we’d head over to Vegas, and then I’d probably have to invest some of it.
Do you have any interesting talents? I don’t know if it’s a talent, but I just started playing piano, and when I was younger, I was really into yo-yos.
What’s the best thing about your home state (Michigan)? I mean, we’ve got the Redwings, who are the best team ever. Also, people don’t realize how beautiful it is there up North.
What’s your favorite movie? “Happy Gilmore”
What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Cake Batter. It’s underrated.
What is your guilty pleasure song or band? It’s kind of weird, but I really like listening to Enya. Do you know who that is? (Shouldn’t everyone know who Enya is?)
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? I’d like to go to Italy, and if not there, Australia.
Would you rather be Jack Swarbrick or Fr. Jenkins for a day? Probably Swarbrick. Fr. Jenkins has too much on his plate, I feel like.
What’s your biggest fear? I guess just not being successful.
What is your favorite place in the entire world? Lavonia, Michigan.
What four people would you want to go golfing with? My foursome Bob Probert, John Daly, Vince Vaughn, and Steve Yzerman.
What do you think is the best thing since sliced bread? Gotta be the hot tub at Notre Dame.
What was the best lesson your parents ever taught you? You can never say thank you too much.
What is the weirdest piece of clothing that you own? I have this Bears hat. It’s my dad’s, and I’m not even a Bears fan, but I wear it all the time.
- Baseball. Notre Dame Wraps ACC Tournament Play
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In First Round of NCAA Championships
- General News. Notre Dame Among Leaders in NCAA APR Four-Year Numbers
- M. Basketball. Irish Set To Face Oklahoma In Madison Square Garden
- Baseball. Irish Lose Lead Late, Fall to Miami
- Track & Field. Keys To The Meet: NCAA East Regionals
- Baseball. Tales From the Eck: A Blog by Collin Stoecker
- Track & Field. Alan Turner Will Not Return as Irish Cross Country/Track and Field Coach
- Baseball. Irish Land Three on All-ACC Teams
- Baseball. Tully, Irish Open ACC Tournament Play
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It's about more than just world-class facilities -- and @NDMensGolf has the culture to match it. #GoIrish https://t.co/bBlsdZLxIk 10 hours ago
- Back to the Big Apple! 🍎🏀 @NDmbb is headed back to @TheGarden to face Oklahoma in the Jimmy V Men's Basketball Cla… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ⬆️ That's how many Irish programs earned perfect Academic Progress Rate scores… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago
- 🏅 Midwest Assistant Coach of the Year 🏅 Player to Watch @NDMensTennis brought home ✌️ regional Intercollegiate Ten… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- “It is an honor to be a part of @usabasketball." @NDmbb head coach @NDMikeBrey is headed to the Olympic Training C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 15 hours ago