Monday’s T.I.F.I. – Three Titles In 72 Hours, Irish Alum To The Sweet 16, Assisting In The MLS & More!
Mar 24, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
A huge weekend of Notre Dame athletics has just passed with three student-athletes capturing NCAA Championships, the women’s basketball squad beginning its quest for a second title and the Irish hockey squad figuring out what region they will begin play as they look to get back to the Frozen Four.
Additionally, former Notre Dame student-athlete Harrison Shipp notched his first career MLS assist over the weekend as he whipped a corner kick into the box for the Chicago Fire.
In other alumni news, former men’s golfer Max Scodro finished in a tie for 17th for his play in the TransAmerican Power Products CRV Open this weekend on the PGATour LatinoAmerica Tour.
The last bit of news from Notre Dame alumni in the sports world comes to you from the University of Dayton, where assistant coach Kevin Kuwik helped bring the Flyers back to the Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 1984. A 1996 Notre Dame graduate, Kuwik was a student assistant on Coach John McLeod’s Irish staff during his time in South Bend. A Notre Dame Army ROTC member, Kuwik spent ten years in the military as he began his coaching career, earning a Bronze Star for his meritorious service in the armed forces.
Now, what did we miss…
1. FRIDAY: Kiefer Finishes Foil Final (NCAA.com)
For the second-consecutive season, Irish foilist Lee Kiefer came out on top in the NCAA Foil Championship to become just the fifth female fencer to win an NCAA title in her first two seasons. To read more, click the link above.
2. SATURDAY: Reaney Runs Away With Title (Swimming World Magazine)
Reaney already held the American record in the 200-yard breastroke, but her performance on Saturday bettered that mark and brought home the first NCAA Title for either of the Irish swimming squads. Click the link above to read more.
3. SUNDAY: Meinhardt Nabs Third NCAA Title (UND.com)
A four-time NCAA All-American, Gerek Meinhardt can now add a second individual NCAA Foil Championship trophy to his mantle alongside his 2011 NCAA Team Championship. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Katie Meinhardt (@kmein13) March 23, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Take a look at Kevin Kuwik (’96) from the 20 second mark until around 1:20.
Trivia Question Of The Day
When was the last time Notre Dame captured four NCAA Titles (team + individual) in one year?
You will find the answer to this trivia question in tomorrow’s Things I Found Interesting
- Fencing. Stabrawa Named Fencing's Director of Operations
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2017-18 Schedule
- M. Soccer. Irish Release 2017 Soccer Slate
- M. Ice Hockey. Peeke And St. Cyr Invited To USA Camp
- Softball. Bazos To Represent Greece At Euro Championship
- Track & Field. Father’s Day: Running In The Aragon Family
- W. Tennis. Thompson Tapped To Lead Gophers As Head Coach
- Baseball. Irish Trio Of Bielak, Ruibal & Lidge Drafted
- M. Lacrosse. Epple Invited To U.S. National Team Tryouts
- W. Rowing. Boxberger Named CRCA Pocock All-American
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #10 - @NDMenSoccer's ACC Offensive Player of the Year Jon Gallagher led @theACC in… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 11 hours ago
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #10-Attention to detail 1st. Then work on the bigger picture. Josh Adams shows… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 73 Days Flashback to the 1973 Sugar Bowl. When unbeaten @NDFootball downed #1 Alabama for… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #10 - Steve Vasturia's 3-pointer with 2.5 seconds left in overtime clinches @NDmbb… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 17 hours ago
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #10 - Davis Lamb wins match vs Seton Hall for @NDMensGolf tournament title. und.com/sports/m-golf/… 17 hours ago