Mar 26, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
In today’s “Things I Found Interesting” we look at some men’s basketball and hockey alumni news, a fantastic performance by men’s lacrosse, a twitter account is back, women’s basketball continues winning and a look at the football senior class.
In alumni news, former Notre Dame hockey student-athlete Riley Sheahan tallied an assist last night for the Detroit Red Wings in a 4-2 loss to Columbus. Let’s just say, his assist was pretty awesome.
Now, what did we miss…
1. Notre Dame Best Winning Streaks (Blue and Gold)
The women’s basketball squad is on a run of epic proportions, winning 34 consecutive games this season. To read more about the history of winning streaks at Notre Dame, click the link above.
2. Kavanagh Nets Seven, Irish Win (NCAA.com)
With the field covered in snow, attackman Matt Kavanagh tied a program record with seven goals in a 13-7 victory of the Ohio State Buckeyes. Click the link above to read more.
3. Time For the Senior Class To Shine (NBC Sports)
The 2015 graduating class for the football squad has been to three-straight bowl games and has played in the Notre Dame’s first BCS Championship game, and yet they have not achieved their goals. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Irish Sports Camps (@NDCamps) March 25, 2014
The Notre Dame Sports Camps office had been locked out of their twitter account for two years, then they came back strong with this tweet …
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
ABC US News | ABC Business News
University of Notre Dame graduate Lt. Cmdr. John Hiltz is highlighted for segments of this piece on the Blue Angels. A former member of the men’s basketball squad under then head coach Matt Doherty, Hiltz is seen in the video sporting a Notre Dame basketball shirt at different times.
Did You Know…
The Notre Dame men’s basketball team has had three former student-athletes named to the United States Olympic Team. Notre Dame’s first member of the U.S. National Team was Vince Boryla, who won the Olympic gold medal in 1948. Adrian Dantley played a key role in the 1976 Olympics in Montreal. Dantley scored 30 points in the gold medal game, defeating Yugoslavia, 95-74. The last Irish Olympian was Bill Hanzlik in 1980. Hanzlik never had the opportunity to play in the Olympics due to the United States boycotting the 1980 Summer Games.
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad
- M. Ice Hockey. Leivermann And Hellickson Selected In The 2017 NHL Draft
- Track & Field. Harris Named Academic All-American
- Swimming & Diving. Smart Swimmers' Success Saluted
- Track & Field. Irish Compete at USA Track & Field Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #5 - @NDBaseball’s Trey Mancini homers in his MLB debut for the @Orioles. ⁰READ… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #5 - @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw named to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- 🇺🇸FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE TWO @NDMenSoccer alums to play for US Men's National Team in 2017 Gold Cup. 👀@ussoccer und.com/sports/m-socce… 16 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #5 - David Rivers' road to the Ring of Honor. All-American. 3x @NDmbb Captain. 1s… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #5 - At No. 2 overall, Sergio Perkovic became @NDlacrosse's highest ever Major Leagu… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago