Apr 1, 2014, 10:49 AM EST
Four in row for the Irish women’s basketball team is how we start out today’s “Things I Found Interesting.” An 88-69 win over nemesis Baylor was the last roadblock standing in the way of the squad as they looked to become the fifth team in the history of women’s basketball to make six Final Four appearances.
In news on the alumni front, we talked to you yesterday about former hockey student-athlete Mark Van Guilder. Van Guilder was called up to the Nashville Predators over the weekend and played his first game in the NHL after playing in over 400 minor league hockey games. After seeing 8:27 of ice time in a 4-3 shootout win over Washington on Sunday, Van Guilder was reassigned to the Milwaukee Admirals on Monday. Take a minute to watch NHL Network’s interview with Van Guilder about his incredible journey.
It was opening day yesterday in Major League Baseball and the Irish were well represented as Jeff Samardzija was handed the ball to get the Chicago Cubs season underway. Samardzija was brilliant, tossing seven scoreless innings, allowing just five hits and striking out three. In true Cubs fashion, the “Loveable Losers” handed Samardzija a no decision and went on to lose in extra innings.
Now, what did we miss…
1. Irish Head To Nashville (South Bend Tribune)
A fourth-straight Final Four was not easy for the women’s basketball team. An injury to their “Ace” (literally), Natalie Achonwa, put a damper on the night’s proceedings, but the Irish will take a 36-0 record with them to Nashville. To read more, click the link above.
2. Fogarty Learning A New Style (SB Nation)
After another strong season with the Irish, Steven Fogarty’s play has always shined over his statistical output. Click the link above to read more.
3. Redfield Continues Strong Spring (Journal Gazette)
Last year Max Redfield didn’t see a ton of playing time for the Irish, yet in a new scheme under defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder, he looks to make a huge jump entering his sophomore campaign. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— NationalProFastpitch (@profastpitch) April 1, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
I had the chance to work with Maddie a little bit a few years ago … this is exactly how she acts.
Did You Know…
The Notre Dame women’s basketball team reached the Final Four for the fourth-straight season and they are 6-0 all-time in the Elite Eight. They currently have the most wins without a loss in the Regional Final round. (Did You Know courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info)
- M. Basketball. Irish Return Home To Face #13 Cardinals
- General News. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women's Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- Cross Country. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- W. Volleyball. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- W. Soccer. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- M. Soccer. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- Monogram Club. Strong Of Heart Archives: Pat Garrity
- W. Tennis. Irish Insights: Pittsburgh & Michigan
- M. Swimming. Irish To Compete at Michigan First Chance Meet
- W. Swimming. Irish To Compete at Michigan First Chance Meet
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- DID YOU KNOW? @NDFencing has... 8 NCAA Team Titles 31 Individual Gold Medals 292 All-America Honors #NDFacts https://t.co/QyDR33uQZN 9 hours ago
- 🏀 #1 UNC | 2016 🏀 #11 LOUISVILLE | 2013 🏀 #1 SYRACUSE | 2012 Take a look back at some of @NDmbb's biggest games. amp.twimg.com/v/c471fc66-c3c… 16 hours ago
- NEW TEAM NEW SEASON Meet @NDFootball's newest recruits from Signing Day 2016. amp.twimg.com/v/3e21a39d-754… 18 hours ago
- DID YOU KNOW? Since the team's 1st season in 1997, @NDWomensLax has advanced to the NCAA tournament 10 times. https://t.co/bSh7S4YA6y 1 day ago
- ⏱ 60 Seconds 🏀17 Questions Get to know Zach Auguste on Inside @NDmbb. WATCH: UND.com/breytvshow amp.twimg.com/v/a83c489b-d16… 1 day ago