Apr 8, 2014, 9:01 AM EST
The “#1” light is already lit atop Grace Hall, so that won’t change tonight, but many other things may. Already boasting a men’s soccer national title and three individual NCAA titles this year (Lee Kiefer, Gerek Meinhardt & Emma Reaney), Notre Dame looks to add another award to this year’s trophy haul tonight as the women’s basketball team takes on rival Connecticut in the NCAA Championship Game on Tuesday night at 8:30 p.m. (ET) on ESPN.
In alumni news, former Notre Dame hockey student-athlete Kyle Palmieri lit the lamp for the 14th time this season as the Anaheim Ducks defeated the Vancouver Canucks, 3-0, on Monday night.
Now, what did we miss…
1. The Unblemished Game (AP)
A game that many have pointed to as the season wore on is finally upon us. Tuesday’s game will be the first game pitting two, undefeated teams in a title game for the first time since the days in which the men’s NIT was seen as a parallel to the NCAA Championship. Tuesday’s game has many storylines and is a must watch contest. To read more, click the link above.
2. Digger Announces Retirement (SI)
A longtime basketball coach at Notre Dame and broadcaster for ESPN, Coach Richard “Digger” Phelps is unplugging his microphone one final time with the Network. One of my favorite people to talk with on any given day around the office, Coach is always there to chat with you about basketball, life and numerous happenings around the world. Click the link above to read more.
3. McGraw’s Haul (ESPN)
Notre Dame women’s basketball head coach Muffet McGraw continues filling her office (and I can only assume other offices) with coach of the year trophies. Monday, she added yet another honor to he already novel-sized resume. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Mariel Zagunis (@marielzagunis) April 7, 2014
So, I’m beginning to think Lee is a pretty good fencer. First she won back-to-back NCAA titles, now this …
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
A nice little preview of Notre Dame football’s 30-minute Spring Football special that aired on Monday night on NBC Sports Network. Remember to set your DVR (or take off work) on Friday, April 11, at 3:30 p.m. (ET) so you can watch the next broadcast on NBC Sports Network.
Did You Know…
Former Notre Dame men’s basketball head coach Richard “Digger” Phelps worked for President George H.W. Bush’s Administration after retiring from Notre Dame.
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Comes Up Short Against Hurricanes, 77-74
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
- Baseball. Gilgenbach's Two-Homer Day Takes Series At No. 9 LSU
- M. Tennis. #22 Irish Drop 4-3 Heartbreaker To #20 Blue Devils
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Wrap Last Road Game with 89-55 Win at Boston College
- W. Lacrosse. No. 16 Notre Dame blows by Stetson, 21-7
- Softball. #RV Irish Go 3-1 Versus #14 Minny, #20 UM At B1G/ACC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 5 @ndwbb brought home a win from its final road trip of the year. Take a behind-the-scenes look 👀 at the Iris… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- ✌️ #Gilgenbombs = ☝️ ACC Co-Player of the Week award for Gilgenbach! @NDBaseball's Eric Gilgenbach hit two home ru… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Matt Farrell’s ready and so are the Irish. Catch @NDmbb vs. Miami, LIVE on #BigMonday at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- #BigMonday is back! After @NDmbb beat Boston College on the road, the Irish return home to take on Monday at 7 p.m… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- We couldn't let #PresidentsDay pass without honoring one of our all-time great alumni, President Jed Bartlet.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago