Apr 8, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
The “#1” light is already lit atop Grace Hall, so that won’t change tonight, but many other things may. Already boasting a men’s soccer national title and three individual NCAA titles this year (Lee Kiefer, Gerek Meinhardt & Emma Reaney), Notre Dame looks to add another award to this year’s trophy haul tonight as the women’s basketball team takes on rival Connecticut in the NCAA Championship Game on Tuesday night at 8:30 p.m. (ET) on ESPN.
In alumni news, former Notre Dame hockey student-athlete Kyle Palmieri lit the lamp for the 14th time this season as the Anaheim Ducks defeated the Vancouver Canucks, 3-0, on Monday night.
Now, what did we miss…
1. The Unblemished Game (AP)
A game that many have pointed to as the season wore on is finally upon us. Tuesday’s game will be the first game pitting two, undefeated teams in a title game for the first time since the days in which the men’s NIT was seen as a parallel to the NCAA Championship. Tuesday’s game has many storylines and is a must watch contest. To read more, click the link above.
2. Digger Announces Retirement (SI)
A longtime basketball coach at Notre Dame and broadcaster for ESPN, Coach Richard “Digger” Phelps is unplugging his microphone one final time with the Network. One of my favorite people to talk with on any given day around the office, Coach is always there to chat with you about basketball, life and numerous happenings around the world. Click the link above to read more.
3. McGraw’s Haul (ESPN)
Notre Dame women’s basketball head coach Muffet McGraw continues filling her office (and I can only assume other offices) with coach of the year trophies. Monday, she added yet another honor to he already novel-sized resume. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Mariel Zagunis (@marielzagunis) April 7, 2014
So, I’m beginning to think Lee is a pretty good fencer. First she won back-to-back NCAA titles, now this …
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
A nice little preview of Notre Dame football’s 30-minute Spring Football special that aired on Monday night on NBC Sports Network. Remember to set your DVR (or take off work) on Friday, April 11, at 3:30 p.m. (ET) so you can watch the next broadcast on NBC Sports Network.
Did You Know…
Former Notre Dame men’s basketball head coach Richard “Digger” Phelps worked for President George H.W. Bush’s Administration after retiring from Notre Dame.
- W. Soccer. Irish Complete Sweep Through Florida With 2-1 Win Over Miami
- Football. Irish Bring Home Shillelagh in Emphatic 49-14 Win
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Advances At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- Football. Championship Road Runs Through South Bend
- W. Rowing. Club Four Finishes Eighth At Head Of The Charles
- W. Soccer. Irish Continue Road Swing at Miami
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish, #15 Duke Battle To Scoreless Draw
- M. Ice Hockey. #5/6 Irish Rebound With 3-1 Victory Over Sacred Heart
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon's 24 Kills Powers Irish Past Florida State
- M. Tennis. Howells, Lebedev Into Doubles Quarterfinal At ITA Midwest Regionals
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 1️⃣3️⃣ @NDFootball's win vs. USC is the largest win against a top-20 team since 1992. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-footb… 29 minutes ago
- Junior @NDMensTennis player Alex Lebedev advanced at the ITA Midwest Regional Championships. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-tenni… 2 hours ago
- The Irish look for their third win in the last four matches as @NDSoccer takes on Miami. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-socce… 3 hours ago
- The Shillelagh is home and @NDFootball alum @thejaylonsmith knows it. #GoIrish https://t.co/88eO6JwLXd 4 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: We're just getting started. #GoIrish https://t.co/5DSBB4LB8w 5 hours ago