Apr 8, 2014, 9:01 AM EST
The “#1” light is already lit atop Grace Hall, so that won’t change tonight, but many other things may. Already boasting a men’s soccer national title and three individual NCAA titles this year (Lee Kiefer, Gerek Meinhardt & Emma Reaney), Notre Dame looks to add another award to this year’s trophy haul tonight as the women’s basketball team takes on rival Connecticut in the NCAA Championship Game on Tuesday night at 8:30 p.m. (ET) on ESPN.
In alumni news, former Notre Dame hockey student-athlete Kyle Palmieri lit the lamp for the 14th time this season as the Anaheim Ducks defeated the Vancouver Canucks, 3-0, on Monday night.
Now, what did we miss…
1. The Unblemished Game (AP)
A game that many have pointed to as the season wore on is finally upon us. Tuesday’s game will be the first game pitting two, undefeated teams in a title game for the first time since the days in which the men’s NIT was seen as a parallel to the NCAA Championship. Tuesday’s game has many storylines and is a must watch contest. To read more, click the link above.
2. Digger Announces Retirement (SI)
A longtime basketball coach at Notre Dame and broadcaster for ESPN, Coach Richard “Digger” Phelps is unplugging his microphone one final time with the Network. One of my favorite people to talk with on any given day around the office, Coach is always there to chat with you about basketball, life and numerous happenings around the world. Click the link above to read more.
3. McGraw’s Haul (ESPN)
Notre Dame women’s basketball head coach Muffet McGraw continues filling her office (and I can only assume other offices) with coach of the year trophies. Monday, she added yet another honor to he already novel-sized resume. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Mariel Zagunis (@marielzagunis) April 7, 2014
So, I’m beginning to think Lee is a pretty good fencer. First she won back-to-back NCAA titles, now this …
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
A nice little preview of Notre Dame football’s 30-minute Spring Football special that aired on Monday night on NBC Sports Network. Remember to set your DVR (or take off work) on Friday, April 11, at 3:30 p.m. (ET) so you can watch the next broadcast on NBC Sports Network.
Did You Know…
Former Notre Dame men’s basketball head coach Richard “Digger” Phelps worked for President George H.W. Bush’s Administration after retiring from Notre Dame.
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Renew Border Battle with (-/RV) DePaul
- W. Soccer. A Look Back: 2017 Top Moments
- General News. Irish Student-Athletes Celebrate 21st Annual Pediatric Christmas Party
- M. Basketball. #Breyteen - Irish Outlast Butler In Overtime Thriller
- W. Basketball. Three Former Irish Named to 2017-20 USA National Team Pool
- W. Soccer. Yu Named Scholar All-American
- Football. Mike McGlinchey Named 101st Consensus All-American In School History
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Announces Details For Annual NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ 7️⃣ games with over 💯 rush yards ✅ 9️⃣ TDs ✅ 8️⃣5️⃣-yard TD vs. USC @NDFootball's Josh Adams was named the Of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Time to hoop with the Hoosiers. The #CrossroadsClassic tips off at 2:30 p.m. ET when @NDmbb faces Indiana. 📺 FOX… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- And the winner is... Check out all the award 🏆 winners from @NDFootball's annual awards show, Echoes. ⤵️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Out with the old. Tumbling in with the new. Send a volley cheer on high because @NDCheerTeam's new uniforms will… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Welcome to Indiana basketball. @NDmbb heads to Indianapolis to take on the rival Hoosiers at 2:30 p.m. ET for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago