Apr 9, 2014, 10:54 AM EST
It was a tough night on the hardwood for the Irish women’s basketball as they went for their second NCAA title against archrival Connecticut. The Irish fell short against the “Miami Heat-like” Connecticut Huskies. The women’s squad holds their heads high as they participated in the Final Four in each of the last four years and have played in the final game of the season in three of the last four campaigns.
In a little news on the alumni front, former Notre Dame hockey captain Erik Condra notched an assist on an “empty-netter” last night in a 4-1 victory for his Ottawa Senators.
Now, what did we miss…
1. Defeat Difficult For Women’s Hoops (South Bend Tribune)
A tough loss to UConn for the second-consecutive year in the NCAA Championship was not easy for the Irish women’s basketball team, but the Irish held their heads high after a great 37-1 season. To read more, click the link above.
2. Offensive Line Waiting To Gel (CSN Chicago)
After a few key cogs along the offensive line have exhausted their eligibility (Zach Martin, Chris Watt), the Irish are looking to insert some new blood into the fold. Click the link above to read more.
3. Notre Dame Giving The Business (South Bend Tribune)
After graduation, many Notre Dame football alums get a shot in the NFL before moving on to their career choice. This past week some alums had the opportunity to learn from others in an NFL career conference. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
Lacey Holsworth had an amazing little soul. She inspired us everyday. A precious little girl is gone, but her memory always stays. #Spartan
— Dane Fife (@CoachDaneFife) April 9, 2014
RIP Lacey Holsworth. A beautiful soul, whose strength and courage touched and inspired us all. Heartbreaking.
— Jay Bilas (@JayBilas) April 9, 2014
If you don’t know who Lacey Holsworth is, this picture below tells you a lot …
— Sporting News (@sportingnews) April 9, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Watch some bloopers from the women’s basketball team during the 2010-11 season, the freshman year for this year’s seniors (Natalie Achonwa, Kayla McBride & Ariel Braker).
Did You Know…
The Notre Dame women’s basketball senior class boasted an astounding 138-15 record throughout their four years on campus. This includes four Final Four appearances and three berths into the NCAA Championship Game.
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep DH With 6-1 Win Over Bowling Green
- Track & Field. Harris Defends Title in Women's Mile to Close Out ACC Championships
- M. Basketball. Farrell's Heroics Give Irish Road Win At Wake Forest
- Baseball. LaManna, No. 30 Irish Walk-Off Against Purdue
- Fencing. #1 Irish Women Dominate ACC Individual Competition
- W. Lacrosse. Irish prepped to take on Elon
- M. Lacrosse. Strong Fourth Quarter Pushes No. 7 Notre Dame Past Richmond, 11-7
- W. Tennis. Irish Take ACC Match From Pitt, 4-0
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Vie for Regular Season ACC Title on Sunday
- Softball. #25 Irish Close Day 2 At MNCC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 💪 fourth quarter, 💪 @NDLacrosse win! The No. 7️⃣ Irish took down Richmond behind Brendan Gleason's three goals and… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago
- Game-winning bucket ➡️ Matt Farrell! @NDmbb downed Wake Forest behind 20-plus point efforts from Martinas Geben, M… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
- The ✌️nd game of @NDWomensLax's homestand kicks off when the Irish host Elon, Sunday at 1 p.m. ET. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-lacro… 6 hours ago
- ☘️🔥 Green jerseys, straight fire. Catch @NDHockey as they send off the senior class in their signature green jerse… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- ✅ Top-25 showdown ✅ Senior Day ✅ ACC 🏆 on the line No. 5 @ndwbb hosts No. 21 NC State as the Irish close out the r… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago