Apr 10, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
Irish alumni continue to flourish in professional sports as Riley Sheahan helped the Red Wings claim yet another Stanley Cup playoff berth with a tally in last night’s game. Riley’s goal tied the game at three with just 1:15 left in the third period, securing the Red Wings 23rd-straight Stanley Cup Playoff appearance.
In other alumni news, John Axford registered his fourth save in as many chances last night in a 2-0 win for his Cleveland Indians over the San Diego Padres.
Now, what did we miss…
1. Irish Defense Creates Havoc For QB’s (South Bend Tribune)
With the new defensive structure under Brian VanGorder now in place in spring play, the Irish quarterbacks are being put under immense pressure in practice to perform against the high-level Notre Dame defense. To read more, click the link above.
2. Besler’s Return (Journal Gazette)
After an injury that sidelined Irish midfielder Nick Besler during a substantial part of the 2013 season, he came back stronger and just in time for the Irish men’s soccer team to make a run to College Cup, eventually winning the program’s first NCAA Championship. Click the link above to read more.
3. #NDFB Practice Report (One Foot Down)
The Irish begin to wind down their spring season as the culmination of their work will be on display this Saturday at the Blue-Gold Game. The guys at One Foot Down looked at yesterday’s practice to see how this year’s team is shaping up. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
MF- Survive & advance! Closer than I would have liked but got that W! Looks like we play Soccer Champs & a ND baller pic.twitter.com/J2WaYnhzeE
— Jr. ND Bloggers (@JrNDBloggers) April 10, 2014
Bookstore craziness is alive and well…
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Trick Shot Monday returned earlier this week …
Did You Know…
Crazy stat of the day: Riley Sheahan's game-tying goal sealed Red Wings' 23rd straight playoff berth. He wasn't alive when streak began.
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) April 10, 2014
- Baseball. Notre Dame Wraps ACC Tournament Play
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In First Round of NCAA Championships
- General News. Notre Dame Among Leaders in NCAA APR Four-Year Numbers
- M. Basketball. Irish Set To Face Oklahoma In Madison Square Garden
- Baseball. Irish Lose Lead Late, Fall to Miami
- Track & Field. Keys To The Meet: NCAA East Regionals
- Baseball. Tales From the Eck: A Blog by Collin Stoecker
- Track & Field. Alan Turner Will Not Return as Irish Cross Country/Track and Field Coach
- Baseball. Irish Land Three on All-ACC Teams
- Baseball. Tully, Irish Open ACC Tournament Play
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It's about more than just world-class facilities -- and @NDMensGolf has the culture to match it. #GoIrish https://t.co/bBlsdZLxIk 10 hours ago
- Back to the Big Apple! 🍎🏀 @NDmbb is headed back to @TheGarden to face Oklahoma in the Jimmy V Men's Basketball Cla… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ⬆️ That's how many Irish programs earned perfect Academic Progress Rate scores… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago
- 🏅 Midwest Assistant Coach of the Year 🏅 Player to Watch @NDMensTennis brought home ✌️ regional Intercollegiate Ten… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- “It is an honor to be a part of @usabasketball." @NDmbb head coach @NDMikeBrey is headed to the Olympic Training C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 15 hours ago