Apr 15, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
“Things I Found Interesting” is back! Yesterday, we took a day off to try out a new weekly series that will give you a look at how your favorite former Notre Dame student-athletes are doing in the professional ranks. To read the inaugural post, click here.
In other alumni news that I learned of last night, the Newcastle Eagles, a professional basketball squad in England has clinched the regular-season champion of the British Basketball League. Why is this important? Well, former Notre Dame hooper Scott Martin is one of the leaders on the team, averaging 15.1 points per game and a team-high 9.2 rebounds per contest.
Now what did we miss …
1. Two Drafted In WNBA First Round (Journal Gazette)
After finishing their four years at Notre Dame with four Final Four appearances and three NCA Championship Game berths, Kayla McBride and Natalie Achonwa took the next step in their basketball lives on Monday night. McBride was drafted third overall to the San Antonio Stars, while Achonwa stays in Indiana to play with the Fever. Click the link above to read more.
2. Five Things We Learned This Spring (News-Sentinel)
As the Notre Dame football team finished off its 2014 spring campaign, there are many things we were able to learn about the squad during practice and in the Blue-Gold Game. Click the link above to read more.
3. Dan Fox Opening Eyes In NFL (Chicago Tribune)
After a strong senior season, Notre Dame linebacker is moving on to his next step, the NFL. During workouts, Fox has opened the eyes of many people with his athletic prowess and his ability to be a captain on the field. Click the link above to read more.
Tweets Of The Day
— WNBA (@WNBA) April 15, 2014
— WNBA (@WNBA) April 15, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Take your lunch break (or just watch during the work day) and watch our half-hour long look inside Notre Dame football as they prepare for the Blue-Gold Game. This program originally aired on NBC Sports Network.
Did You Know?
For the third consecutive year, the Notre Dame women’s basketball team has had a former player selected third overall in the WNBA Draft. In 2012, Devereaux Peters was selected third by the Minnesota Lynx, in 2013, Skylar Diggins was selected third by the Tulsa Shock and last night, Kayla McBride was selected third by the San Antonio Stars.
- Track. Irish Prepared For Historic Penn Relays
- Baseball. Vorsheck, Vierling Vanquish Eastern Michigan Wednesday Night
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Set For Rematch With Duke In ACC Semifinals
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Seek Redemption Against Eagles
- W. Tennis. Irish Advance At ACCs After Emphatic 4-0 Victory
- Football. Notre Dame & The NFL Draft
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Land Three On All-ACC Team
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: ACC Championship vs. Louisville
- W. Rowing. Martin Stone Presented Honorary Monogram
- Baseball. Irish Halt Crusaders Tuesday Night
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🎾 ACC PLAYER OF THE WEEK @NDMensTennis SR Josh Hagar downed the #1 NCAA doubles team with partner Eddy Covalschi.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- 📸 PHOTO OF THE WEEK #6 @NDlacrosse celebrates after beating #16 UNC 14-13 on Senior Day. Presented by @VividSeats https://t.co/UrHtYvNVYm 10 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: "When you walk down that tunnel you need to be locked in."-Brian Kelly 📽 The sideline, field & locker room from @NDFoot… 14 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH WIN AT NORTHWESTERN! @NDSoftball records 8 runs scored in 3 innings to beat Northwestern 10-2. Game Recap: und.com/sports/w-softb… 15 hours ago
- ⚾️ ND KNOCKS OFF VALPO! SR Pitcher Ryan Smoyer gave up 4 hits in 5 innings in @NDBaseball's 10-3 win over Valpo.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago