Apr 15, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
“Things I Found Interesting” is back! Yesterday, we took a day off to try out a new weekly series that will give you a look at how your favorite former Notre Dame student-athletes are doing in the professional ranks. To read the inaugural post, click here.
In other alumni news that I learned of last night, the Newcastle Eagles, a professional basketball squad in England has clinched the regular-season champion of the British Basketball League. Why is this important? Well, former Notre Dame hooper Scott Martin is one of the leaders on the team, averaging 15.1 points per game and a team-high 9.2 rebounds per contest.
Now what did we miss …
1. Two Drafted In WNBA First Round (Journal Gazette)
After finishing their four years at Notre Dame with four Final Four appearances and three NCA Championship Game berths, Kayla McBride and Natalie Achonwa took the next step in their basketball lives on Monday night. McBride was drafted third overall to the San Antonio Stars, while Achonwa stays in Indiana to play with the Fever. Click the link above to read more.
2. Five Things We Learned This Spring (News-Sentinel)
As the Notre Dame football team finished off its 2014 spring campaign, there are many things we were able to learn about the squad during practice and in the Blue-Gold Game. Click the link above to read more.
3. Dan Fox Opening Eyes In NFL (Chicago Tribune)
After a strong senior season, Notre Dame linebacker is moving on to his next step, the NFL. During workouts, Fox has opened the eyes of many people with his athletic prowess and his ability to be a captain on the field. Click the link above to read more.
Tweets Of The Day
— WNBA (@WNBA) April 15, 2014
— WNBA (@WNBA) April 15, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Take your lunch break (or just watch during the work day) and watch our half-hour long look inside Notre Dame football as they prepare for the Blue-Gold Game. This program originally aired on NBC Sports Network.
Did You Know?
For the third consecutive year, the Notre Dame women’s basketball team has had a former player selected third overall in the WNBA Draft. In 2012, Devereaux Peters was selected third by the Minnesota Lynx, in 2013, Skylar Diggins was selected third by the Tulsa Shock and last night, Kayla McBride was selected third by the San Antonio Stars.
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick | Looking Around
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Sends Contingent to NHL Development Camps
- Cross Country. Irish Announce Cross Country Class of 2021
- Fencing. Irish To Be Well-Represented At Senior World Championships
- M. Basketball. Maui Invitational Tournament Will Begin With Chaminade
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Why
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 43 Days In 1943 QB Angelo Bertelli won @NDFootball's 1st Heisman Trophy, the same year ND… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- ☘ ND Stadium is Going Green! LED Lights Food Donations Game Day Recycling Learn about our sustainability efforts: und.com/sports/biggert… 23 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The 3 new buildings at ND Stadium are big enough for a queen. Literally. At 800,000 sq. feet, they're almost as big as… 1 day ago
- The new facility at ND Stadium has 1,650,000 bricks. Laid end-to-end they stretch 200 miles. Long enough to go fr… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- In 3,000,000 hours of labor we: Renovated ND Stadium & constructed 3 buildings. That's how long it takes Earth to… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago