Apr 15, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
“Things I Found Interesting” is back! Yesterday, we took a day off to try out a new weekly series that will give you a look at how your favorite former Notre Dame student-athletes are doing in the professional ranks. To read the inaugural post, click here.
In other alumni news that I learned of last night, the Newcastle Eagles, a professional basketball squad in England has clinched the regular-season champion of the British Basketball League. Why is this important? Well, former Notre Dame hooper Scott Martin is one of the leaders on the team, averaging 15.1 points per game and a team-high 9.2 rebounds per contest.
Now what did we miss …
1. Two Drafted In WNBA First Round (Journal Gazette)
After finishing their four years at Notre Dame with four Final Four appearances and three NCA Championship Game berths, Kayla McBride and Natalie Achonwa took the next step in their basketball lives on Monday night. McBride was drafted third overall to the San Antonio Stars, while Achonwa stays in Indiana to play with the Fever. Click the link above to read more.
2. Five Things We Learned This Spring (News-Sentinel)
As the Notre Dame football team finished off its 2014 spring campaign, there are many things we were able to learn about the squad during practice and in the Blue-Gold Game. Click the link above to read more.
3. Dan Fox Opening Eyes In NFL (Chicago Tribune)
After a strong senior season, Notre Dame linebacker is moving on to his next step, the NFL. During workouts, Fox has opened the eyes of many people with his athletic prowess and his ability to be a captain on the field. Click the link above to read more.
Tweets Of The Day
— WNBA (@WNBA) April 15, 2014
— WNBA (@WNBA) April 15, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Take your lunch break (or just watch during the work day) and watch our half-hour long look inside Notre Dame football as they prepare for the Blue-Gold Game. This program originally aired on NBC Sports Network.
Did You Know?
For the third consecutive year, the Notre Dame women’s basketball team has had a former player selected third overall in the WNBA Draft. In 2012, Devereaux Peters was selected third by the Minnesota Lynx, in 2013, Skylar Diggins was selected third by the Tulsa Shock and last night, Kayla McBride was selected third by the San Antonio Stars.
- W. Soccer. Irish Complete Sweep Through Florida With 2-1 Win Over Miami
- Football. Irish Bring Home Shillelagh in Emphatic 49-14 Win
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Advances At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- Football. Championship Road Runs Through South Bend
- W. Rowing. Club Four Finishes Eighth At Head Of The Charles
- W. Soccer. Irish Continue Road Swing at Miami
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish, #15 Duke Battle To Scoreless Draw
- M. Ice Hockey. #5/6 Irish Rebound With 3-1 Victory Over Sacred Heart
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon's 24 Kills Powers Irish Past Florida State
- M. Tennis. Howells, Lebedev Into Doubles Quarterfinal At ITA Midwest Regionals
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 1️⃣3️⃣ @NDFootball's win vs. USC is the largest win against a top-20 team since 1992. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-footb… 31 minutes ago
- Junior @NDMensTennis player Alex Lebedev advanced at the ITA Midwest Regional Championships. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-tenni… 2 hours ago
- The Irish look for their third win in the last four matches as @NDSoccer takes on Miami. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-socce… 3 hours ago
- The Shillelagh is home and @NDFootball alum @thejaylonsmith knows it. #GoIrish https://t.co/88eO6JwLXd 4 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: We're just getting started. #GoIrish https://t.co/5DSBB4LB8w 5 hours ago