Apr 21, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
It is Dyngus Day here in South Bend, so I felt it was only right that I write today’s “Things I Found Interesting” from the west side of South Bend … So, here I sit, typing up information about Notre Dame athletics with a strawberry banana smoothie sitting in front of me.
This past weekend was a crazy one for Notre Dame squads as we saw perfection and an offensive outburst from the softball squad and a defeat of the 11th-ranked Miami Hurricanes from baseball. Three program’s competed in their first ACC Championship this weekend – the women’s track and field team finished second, the men’s squad finished third and the women’s golf team finished in a tie for fifth.
A quick alumni note, former Notre Dame men’s golfer Max Scodro picked up another paycheck this weekend after a six-over par finish in this week’s PGA Tour-Latin America event. Scodro fired a final-round 72 to finish the event in a tie for 31st.
Now what did we miss …
1. Ken Jeong To Direct ESPN “30 for 30” Short On Reggie Ho (Lost Lettermen)
An internationally known actor from movies like “The Hangover” and “Step Brothers,” Ken Jeong is ready to try his hand at directing. Jeong is not just directing another “30 for 30,” but a short documentary about Reggie Ho, a former Notre Dame student-athlete and kicker. Let’s just say that the release of this news really makes this tweet from a few weeks back make so much more sense. If you want to read more on the movie, click the link above.
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) April 10, 2014
2. Taking A Look At Martin And Nix (Titans Online)
We are less than a month away from the NFL Draft and an assortment of “draftniks” continue to poke and prod at every potential first round draft pick. Today, I am posting a link that just gives you the important information about the two Notre Dame grads that will most likely be the top two “Domers” to go in May. Click the link above to read more.
3. Irish Stop #11 Miami (College Baseball Central)
In their first year in the ACC, the Irish baseball team has struggled at times to get acquainted with the level of play. However, in the past few weeks, you have seen a team begin to click and show that they will be a force in the Conference for years to come. This past weekend, they played a great series against the Hurricanes, ending the 14-game hit streak that Miami was sporting. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
The tradition continues!! 20+ years. Besler brothers awkward photo with the Plaza Easter bunny.… http://t.co/bCeh3E86tQ
— Matt Besler (@mbesler) April 20, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Harrison Shipp tallies his third assist of the season, this one from a brilliant through pass to Quincy Amarikwa for the Chicago Fire’s only goal of the match.
Did You Know?
On Friday, the Notre Dame softball program’s leader in wins , Laura Winter, hurled her first collegiate perfect game.
Winter’s feat was just the third in the 26-year history of Notre Dame softball, and the first since Heather Booth struck out four Rutgers hitters in a 8-0 win in five innings on April 23, 2006. Terri Kobata (six innings, 11 strikeouts) was the first perfect Irish pitcher after blanking Loyola-Chicago 5-0 on May 12, 1994 in the Midwestern Collegiate Conference tournament.
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick | Looking Around
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Sends Contingent to NHL Development Camps
- Cross Country. Irish Announce Cross Country Class of 2021
- Fencing. Irish To Be Well-Represented At Senior World Championships
- M. Basketball. Maui Invitational Tournament Will Begin With Chaminade
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Why
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 43 Days In 1943 QB Angelo Bertelli won @NDFootball's 1st Heisman Trophy, the same year ND… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- ☘ ND Stadium is Going Green! LED Lights Food Donations Game Day Recycling Learn about our sustainability efforts: und.com/sports/biggert… 23 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The 3 new buildings at ND Stadium are big enough for a queen. Literally. At 800,000 sq. feet, they're almost as big as… 1 day ago
- The new facility at ND Stadium has 1,650,000 bricks. Laid end-to-end they stretch 200 miles. Long enough to go fr… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- In 3,000,000 hours of labor we: Renovated ND Stadium & constructed 3 buildings. That's how long it takes Earth to… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago