Apr 24, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
Wednesday was crazy day on the diamond for the Notre Dame baseball team and their alums.
Although the squad lost to Central Michigan by a 4-3 tally, the alums in the majors were scorching hot.
First off, every single alum that is currently on an MLB roster saw action yesterday. On the rubber, the four pitchers combined for 11.0 innings pitched, three earned runs (2.73 ERA) and a save. Looking a little deeper, Jeff Samardzija went 7.1 strong innings, allowing just two earned and got another no decision. David Phelps went 2.0 innings for the Yankees, allowing no earned runs. John Axford picked up the save for the Indians after 1.0 inning of shutout ball and Jeff Manship tossed 0.2 innings, allowing an earned run.
The lone non-pitcher in the majors, AJ Pollock, ironically scored the go-ahead run for the Diamondbacks to defeat Samardzija’s Chicago Cubs.
Now what did we miss …
1. Coach Brey Teaches Heart Health (WSBT)
About 50 participants from around the community made the quick trip to Purcell Pavilion on Wednesday afternoon to work with men’s basketball head coach Mike Brey. Brey and members of his staff helped to build awareness on the importance of heart health. Click the link above to learn more.
2. Koyack Looks For Starting Spot (The Observer)
The long line of greatness at the tight end position is well documented at Notre Dame. After last season, Troy Niklas left for the NFL Draft, leaving an opportunity for the current tight ends on the roster. Is Ben Koyack’s time finally here? Click the link above to read more.
3. What To Expect From Cody Riggs (NBC Sports)
Cody Riggs, a transfer from the University of Florida, is eligible to play for the Irish right away. What will Riggs’ impact be on the Irish? Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) April 23, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Did You Know?
According to Baseball Reference, Notre Dame baseball alum Jeff Samardzija is the only pitcher in last 100 years to go seven or more innings, allow two earned runs or fewer in 1st five games started of a season and not earn a win.
- Football. Football, Uplifting Athletes Bowling Event Set For July 12
- M. Lacrosse. Three Incoming Freshmen Named Under Armour All-Americans
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Swimming Celebrates Academic Achievement
- Track. Barber To Compete At World University Games
- M. Ice Hockey. Ten Named to Hockey East All-Academic Team
- W. Golf. Irish Foursome Named To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- Football. Irish Extra: Football 101
- Track. Irish Named To All-ACC Academic Track & Field Teams
- Baseball. Seven Baseball Standouts Earn All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- W. Basketball. Niele Ivey Promoted To Associate Womenâ€™s Basketball Coach
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🇺🇸 http://t.co/uDud7r9aFm 2 hours ago
- Vote to get @ndwbb'rs to the @WNBA All-🌟 Game! 💯Achonwa ☔️Loyd 🌟McBride 🐆Peters ⚡️Diggins ➡️ wnba.com/players/ http://t.co/76hYjVpS5p 18 hours ago
- 🏀DUNK YOU VERY MUCH Jerian Grant's "dunkalicious" slam is up for @ESPYS top play. VOTE NOW: ESPYS.com/vote vine.co/v/Od5rX7TWDxg 2 days ago
- The question isn't if an ND alum wins an ESPY, it's how many. Jerian(Top Play) Skylar(WNBA) ESPYS.com/vote http://t.co/BeBmSPO4zG 3 days ago
- DID YOU KNOW:If you lay the "Golden Dome" on its side, only 2 separate @IvyQuad from ND? Info: bit.ly/1J5MFNO http://t.co/TpuLttUeR1 3 days ago