Apr 24, 2014, 11:21 AM EST
Wednesday was crazy day on the diamond for the Notre Dame baseball team and their alums.
Although the squad lost to Central Michigan by a 4-3 tally, the alums in the majors were scorching hot.
First off, every single alum that is currently on an MLB roster saw action yesterday. On the rubber, the four pitchers combined for 11.0 innings pitched, three earned runs (2.73 ERA) and a save. Looking a little deeper, Jeff Samardzija went 7.1 strong innings, allowing just two earned and got another no decision. David Phelps went 2.0 innings for the Yankees, allowing no earned runs. John Axford picked up the save for the Indians after 1.0 inning of shutout ball and Jeff Manship tossed 0.2 innings, allowing an earned run.
The lone non-pitcher in the majors, AJ Pollock, ironically scored the go-ahead run for the Diamondbacks to defeat Samardzija’s Chicago Cubs.
Now what did we miss …
1. Coach Brey Teaches Heart Health (WSBT)
About 50 participants from around the community made the quick trip to Purcell Pavilion on Wednesday afternoon to work with men’s basketball head coach Mike Brey. Brey and members of his staff helped to build awareness on the importance of heart health. Click the link above to learn more.
2. Koyack Looks For Starting Spot (The Observer)
The long line of greatness at the tight end position is well documented at Notre Dame. After last season, Troy Niklas left for the NFL Draft, leaving an opportunity for the current tight ends on the roster. Is Ben Koyack’s time finally here? Click the link above to read more.
3. What To Expect From Cody Riggs (NBC Sports)
Cody Riggs, a transfer from the University of Florida, is eligible to play for the Irish right away. What will Riggs’ impact be on the Irish? Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) April 23, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Did You Know?
According to Baseball Reference, Notre Dame baseball alum Jeff Samardzija is the only pitcher in last 100 years to go seven or more innings, allow two earned runs or fewer in 1st five games started of a season and not earn a win.
- Football. University of Notre Dame Football Media Conference
- M. Basketball. Carrying On A Legacy
- Football. #4 Irish Aim to Improve to 11-1 on Saturday
- Cross Country. Seidel Named USTFCCCA National Athlete of the Year
- M. Soccer. Soccer Quartet Secures Academic All-America Honors
- W. Soccer. Soccer Quartet Secures Academic All-America Honors
- M. Basketball. #17/18 Notre Dame Heads to Orlando for 2015 AdvoCare Invitational
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3 Notre Dame 110, Valparaiso 54
- W. Basketball. No. 3 Notre Dame runs away from Valparaiso
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Roll Over Valparaiso, 110-54
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 FENWAY BATTLE See how @NDFootball fought for each other vs BC in this week's ICON WATCH: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/Nva3… https://t.co/y2OHKjmAns 1 hour ago
- 🎆 We took over Boston & lit up the sky. #ShamrockSeries https://t.co/ZDhHS7vN0K 4 hours ago
- 🏈 "Air Romeo" Romeo Okwara talks life on & off the field during Inside @NDFootball WATCH: und.com/bktvshow amp.twimg.com/v/20df0cd0-1f9… 8 hours ago
- 🍀 The Irish are 10-1. 🎤 Hear Coach Kelly talk about Saturday's game vs. Stanford. WATCH: watchnd.tv/#!/shows/Brian… https://t.co/x3mxH1G6bN 11 hours ago
- 🏀 TRIPLE DIGITS #3 @ndwbb dominates Valpo 110-54 on the road. HIGHLIGHTS: amp.twimg.com/v/3bece68c-32a… 13 hours ago