Apr 24, 2014, 11:21 AM EST
Wednesday was crazy day on the diamond for the Notre Dame baseball team and their alums.
Although the squad lost to Central Michigan by a 4-3 tally, the alums in the majors were scorching hot.
First off, every single alum that is currently on an MLB roster saw action yesterday. On the rubber, the four pitchers combined for 11.0 innings pitched, three earned runs (2.73 ERA) and a save. Looking a little deeper, Jeff Samardzija went 7.1 strong innings, allowing just two earned and got another no decision. David Phelps went 2.0 innings for the Yankees, allowing no earned runs. John Axford picked up the save for the Indians after 1.0 inning of shutout ball and Jeff Manship tossed 0.2 innings, allowing an earned run.
The lone non-pitcher in the majors, AJ Pollock, ironically scored the go-ahead run for the Diamondbacks to defeat Samardzija’s Chicago Cubs.
Now what did we miss …
1. Coach Brey Teaches Heart Health (WSBT)
About 50 participants from around the community made the quick trip to Purcell Pavilion on Wednesday afternoon to work with men’s basketball head coach Mike Brey. Brey and members of his staff helped to build awareness on the importance of heart health. Click the link above to learn more.
2. Koyack Looks For Starting Spot (The Observer)
The long line of greatness at the tight end position is well documented at Notre Dame. After last season, Troy Niklas left for the NFL Draft, leaving an opportunity for the current tight ends on the roster. Is Ben Koyack’s time finally here? Click the link above to read more.
3. What To Expect From Cody Riggs (NBC Sports)
Cody Riggs, a transfer from the University of Florida, is eligible to play for the Irish right away. What will Riggs’ impact be on the Irish? Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) April 23, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Did You Know?
According to Baseball Reference, Notre Dame baseball alum Jeff Samardzija is the only pitcher in last 100 years to go seven or more innings, allow two earned runs or fewer in 1st five games started of a season and not earn a win.
- Track. Notre Dame Opens Competition at Meyo Invitational
- M. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Fall To No. 12 Illini 5-2
- M. Ice Hockey. DiPauli and Fogarty Lead No. 10 Irish Past Vermont 2-1
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Kicks Off Spring Season At Earl Yestingsmeier Match Play Event
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Poised to Battle No. 2/1 North Carolina
- Fencing. Keys to the Meet: Duke Duals
- Monogram Club. Strong Of Heart Archives: Father John Smyth
- M. Soccer. Matt Howley Joins Clinician List For The 2016 National Soccer Coaching Seminar
- W. Soccer. Matt Howley Joins Clinician List For The 2016 National Soccer Coaching Seminar
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Illinois, Indiana & Ball State
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- DID YOU KNOW? ND vs. North Carolina is the 35th time in program history that @NDmbb has faced a #1 ranked team https://t.co/CAIgoUDk9Z 9 hours ago
- 🏈@CoachMikeElston helped recruit 24 players... On Signing Day he recruited an extra player to help out his family. amp.twimg.com/v/c7b07477-293… 15 hours ago
- 🏀 THURSDAY NIGHT WIN See how #3 @ndwbb downed N.C. State 82-46 at Purcell Pavilion. HIGHLIGHTS: amp.twimg.com/v/876f8eee-b31… 16 hours ago
- DID YOU KNOW? Goaltender Cal Petersen is tied for the national lead in saves w/ 725. READ: und.com/sports/m-hocke… https://t.co/OCD5r2XgBf 1 day ago
- 🏀 The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: und.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/5xJdawoKJ6 1 day ago