Apr 24, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
Wednesday was crazy day on the diamond for the Notre Dame baseball team and their alums.
Although the squad lost to Central Michigan by a 4-3 tally, the alums in the majors were scorching hot.
First off, every single alum that is currently on an MLB roster saw action yesterday. On the rubber, the four pitchers combined for 11.0 innings pitched, three earned runs (2.73 ERA) and a save. Looking a little deeper, Jeff Samardzija went 7.1 strong innings, allowing just two earned and got another no decision. David Phelps went 2.0 innings for the Yankees, allowing no earned runs. John Axford picked up the save for the Indians after 1.0 inning of shutout ball and Jeff Manship tossed 0.2 innings, allowing an earned run.
The lone non-pitcher in the majors, AJ Pollock, ironically scored the go-ahead run for the Diamondbacks to defeat Samardzija’s Chicago Cubs.
Now what did we miss …
1. Coach Brey Teaches Heart Health (WSBT)
About 50 participants from around the community made the quick trip to Purcell Pavilion on Wednesday afternoon to work with men’s basketball head coach Mike Brey. Brey and members of his staff helped to build awareness on the importance of heart health. Click the link above to learn more.
2. Koyack Looks For Starting Spot (The Observer)
The long line of greatness at the tight end position is well documented at Notre Dame. After last season, Troy Niklas left for the NFL Draft, leaving an opportunity for the current tight ends on the roster. Is Ben Koyack’s time finally here? Click the link above to read more.
3. What To Expect From Cody Riggs (NBC Sports)
Cody Riggs, a transfer from the University of Florida, is eligible to play for the Irish right away. What will Riggs’ impact be on the Irish? Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) April 23, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Did You Know?
According to Baseball Reference, Notre Dame baseball alum Jeff Samardzija is the only pitcher in last 100 years to go seven or more innings, allow two earned runs or fewer in 1st five games started of a season and not earn a win.
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Women Top Selection in 2015 ACC Pre-Season Coaches' Poll
- Football. Ready To Open Season Against Texas
- M. Ice Hockey. Pro Hockey Camp Update
- Compton Family Ice Arena. Saturday, September 5th Hours of Operation
- Football. Brian Kelly Football Media Conference
- M. Golf. Rushton Captures Medalist Honors At The 2015 Kickoff Challenge
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Tops MTSU For First Win Of 2015
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish Stun #14 Indiana On Overtime Tally
- W. Soccer. #7/6 Irish Extinguish Portland's Pilot Light, 2-0
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Portland
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Show us your best touchdown dance for a chance to win ND football tix! thiscounts.org #NDTDDance #ThisCounts http://t.co/S4yk9qlHA2 5 hours ago
- The same great content on your phone, tablet & desktop. See the redesign: UND.com Thnx @CBSiAdvMedia! http://t.co/8t1w81AyvC 21 hours ago
- Want to help us defend our home turf vs Texas? Thanks to @Vyskcomm you have the chance! Enter: woobox.com/3oq4bt http://t.co/tqcJCgfHns 23 hours ago
- 🎤 @CoachBrianKelly press conference to preview game vs. Texas LIVE STREAM at 12 pm ET Watch: watchnd.tv/#!/shows/Brian… http://t.co/QnOfTsx1ii 1 day ago
- 🎉 In case you missed it 🎉 #WinningShot #TrickShotMonday @NDFootball Watch Full: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/xkdW… http://t.co/pcPoEUbOaE 1 day ago