May 5, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Another great weekend of athletics is behind us as the softball team sent its senior’s off with a bang against BC, Gerek Meinhardt took Gold at the Tokyo Grand Prix Fencing event, men’s lacrosse copped the sixth-seed in the NCAA Championship while the women’s squad will host an NCAA match as the eight seed and a little Notre Dame flair in the Kentucky Derby.
Now what did we miss …
1. Irish Football Squad Hosts Charity Event (South Bend Tribune)
For the second year in a row, the Irish football team and senior Joe Schmidt hosted a bowling event to help raise funds for Uplifting Athletes, a charity they began to work with when the team “adopted” Sam Grewe. Click the link above to learn more.
2. Coach Kelly In the Top Five (Sporting News)
Sporting News recently put out its list of college football coaches, ranking them from first to worst. Where did Coach Brian Kelly end up? Let’s just say, he’s a top five coach. Click the link above to read more.
3. Softball Sends Off Senior’s With Sweep (WNDU)
The Irish softball team continues rolling through ACC play after a three-game sweep of Boston College over the weekend. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Gerek Meinhardt (@GerekMeinhardt) May 5, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Notre Dame men’s soccer alum Matt Besler was awarded his MLS Cup ring last weekend. Here is the video of the entire ceremony.
Did You Know?
Former Notre Dame men’s soccer forward and 2012 MAC-Hermann Trophy Finalist Ryan Finley’s family and their ownership company West Point Thoroughbreds, had a horse in the Kentucky Derby last weekend. The horse, Commanding Curve, placed second, getting beat out by eventual champion California Chrome by 1 ½ lengths.
- M. Lacrosse. Monday Brunch: Tough Ending in Columbus for Corrigan’s Crew
- Baseball. Vierling Earns ACC All-Freshman Team Honors
- Softball. #2 Michigan Ousts #23 Irish 6-2 In Ann Arbor Regional Final
- M. Lacrosse. 12th-Rated North Carolina Knocks Out Third Seed Notre Dame
- Softball. #23 Irish Return To Regional Final With Shutouts Of Valpo, Miami
- Baseball. Irish Drop Season Finale To #16 Clemson
- W. Lacrosse. #6 Irish Fall in NCAA Quarterfinals, 10-6
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Experience, Perseverence Leads to Shot at Championship Weekend
- Baseball. Baseball Falls To #16 Clemson Friday Night
- Softball. Miami Finds Unlikely Rally To Down #23 Irish 3-2
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ Barbara Sullivan & Matt Landis They're 2 of the best defensive players in the nation, & 2 of the best teammates. amp.twimg.com/v/f345da50-232… 1 hour ago
- 🍀 This 86-year-old Irish fan's wish was to see a @NDFootball game. Thanks to her grandchildren, her wish came true. amp.twimg.com/v/3a8df912-1e5… 14 hours ago
- 🍀 This year, @NDsoftball... Made its 18th straight NCAA tourney appearance. Earned its 8th straight 40-win season. https://t.co/JLlftP7Y2o 15 hours ago
- ☘Leading from the start... 9 days into @WNBA season, ND's Kayla McBride ranks 2nd overall in scoring (22 pts/game). https://t.co/Hd5ZcEbu9b 17 hours ago
- Matt Kavanagh's ND Records: Tied 1st in Career Starts (62) 2nd in Points (225) 3rd in Goals & Assists (122 & 103) https://t.co/n29FdLAzLn 1 day ago