May 5, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Another great weekend of athletics is behind us as the softball team sent its senior’s off with a bang against BC, Gerek Meinhardt took Gold at the Tokyo Grand Prix Fencing event, men’s lacrosse copped the sixth-seed in the NCAA Championship while the women’s squad will host an NCAA match as the eight seed and a little Notre Dame flair in the Kentucky Derby.
Now what did we miss …
1. Irish Football Squad Hosts Charity Event (South Bend Tribune)
For the second year in a row, the Irish football team and senior Joe Schmidt hosted a bowling event to help raise funds for Uplifting Athletes, a charity they began to work with when the team “adopted” Sam Grewe. Click the link above to learn more.
2. Coach Kelly In the Top Five (Sporting News)
Sporting News recently put out its list of college football coaches, ranking them from first to worst. Where did Coach Brian Kelly end up? Let’s just say, he’s a top five coach. Click the link above to read more.
3. Softball Sends Off Senior’s With Sweep (WNDU)
The Irish softball team continues rolling through ACC play after a three-game sweep of Boston College over the weekend. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Gerek Meinhardt (@GerekMeinhardt) May 5, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Notre Dame men’s soccer alum Matt Besler was awarded his MLS Cup ring last weekend. Here is the video of the entire ceremony.
Did You Know?
Former Notre Dame men’s soccer forward and 2012 MAC-Hermann Trophy Finalist Ryan Finley’s family and their ownership company West Point Thoroughbreds, had a horse in the Kentucky Derby last weekend. The horse, Commanding Curve, placed second, getting beat out by eventual champion California Chrome by 1 ½ lengths.
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Comes Up Short Against Hurricanes, 77-74
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
- Baseball. Gilgenbach's Two-Homer Day Takes Series At No. 9 LSU
- M. Tennis. #22 Irish Drop 4-3 Heartbreaker To #20 Blue Devils
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Wrap Last Road Game with 89-55 Win at Boston College
- W. Lacrosse. No. 16 Notre Dame blows by Stetson, 21-7
- Softball. #RV Irish Go 3-1 Versus #14 Minny, #20 UM At B1G/ACC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 5 @ndwbb brought home a win from its final road trip of the year. Take a behind-the-scenes look 👀 at the Iris… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- ✌️ #Gilgenbombs = ☝️ ACC Co-Player of the Week award for Gilgenbach! @NDBaseball's Eric Gilgenbach hit two home ru… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Matt Farrell’s ready and so are the Irish. Catch @NDmbb vs. Miami, LIVE on #BigMonday at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- #BigMonday is back! After @NDmbb beat Boston College on the road, the Irish return home to take on Monday at 7 p.m… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- We couldn't let #PresidentsDay pass without honoring one of our all-time great alumni, President Jed Bartlet.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago