May 7, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
As a busy weekend of Notre Dame athletics is about to get underway shortly and the NFL Draft is slated to begin tomorrow night, let’s take a quick look at how our alums did in the professional ranks last night before getting into the “meat” of “Things I Found Interesting.”
Last night a pair of Notre Dame baseball alums saw action in the MLB. Jeff Manship of the Philadelphia Phillies tossed an inning of scoreless, no hit baseball in an extra inning loss for his squad. A.J. Pollock re-entered the lineup after five games off due to injury and notched a double and a walk in four appearances at the “dish.”
Now what did we miss …
1. Samardzija Has No Regret (Indianapolis Star)
Although he hasn’t been able to tally a win this season with the Cubs, Irish alum Jeff Samardzija has no regrets about choosing baseball over playing on the gridiron in the NFL. Click the link above to read more.
2. Kavanagh Leads Irish (WSBT)
Only two seasons into his career, sophomore Matt Kavanagh has already made his mark on the Notre Dame lacrosse program. Click the link above to read more.
3. Louis Replacing An All-Pro? (Boston Herald)
As the NFL Draft fast approaches on Thursday night, the mock drafts are ever changing. But we are not posting another one of those today, check out this story about the possibility of Louis Nix replacing Vince Wilfork Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— The Daily Domer (@DailyDomer) May 7, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
This may not have ended well for Irish alum A.J. Pollock last year, but this year should be a different story.
Did You Know?
The 17 years prior to Brian Kelly coming to Notre Dame the Irish had FOUR student-athletes drafted in the first round. If just one of the three possible first round picks this year (Zach Martin, Louis Nix III, Stephon Tuitt) is drafted in the first round, he will then tie the previous 17 years in just four years.
— Michael Bertsch (@NDsidBertschy) May 6, 2014
- Baseball. Irish And Hoosiers Renew Series Tuesday Night At Victory Field In Indianapolis
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Kavanagh Cops ACC Offensive Player of the Week Honors
- Softball. Koerner Slugs Her Way To ACC Player Of The Week Recognition
- M. Tennis. Irish Extra: Irish Men's Doubles Pairing Boasts All-Star Potential
- M. Lacrosse. IRISH EXTRA: Fans Mob Arlotta Stadium Turf After Epic Irish Victory
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Hands Out Team Awards
- W. Lacrosse. No. 10 Notre Dame Falls to No. 14 Louisville, 10-8
- Softball. #25 Irish Roll Over Syracuse 12-0 In Five For 23rd Straight Win
- W. Tennis. No. 33 Notre Dame Falls To No. 23 Duke, 4-1
- Baseball. No. 25 Irish Split With Wolfpack Saturday; Clinch ACC Series
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🍀Irish Ranked Nationally🍀 (Top-25) #1 - @NDlacrosse #11 - @NDWomensLax #17 - @NotreDameRowing #25 - @NDsoftball http://t.co/vrN92H9Zux 9 hours ago
- Former @NDBaseball outfielder A.J. Pollock was on 🔥🔥🔥 at the plate this weekend for the @Dbacks & played a little "D" http://t.co/8bFY2rHM4c 1 day ago
- Our header photo will now change to show the best @NotreDame moments. @NDlacrosse's game winner is up! #1PercentMore http://t.co/4TszWRebRJ 1 day ago
- #GoLow ⛳️@NDwomensGolf finished +7 in ACC Championship w/Talia Campbell carding a team-leading one-under par score. http://t.co/bbuROGonDt 1 day ago
- THE KING OF CLUTCH. Matt Kavanagh tallied the ACC Championship winning goal over #2 UNC with 7.6 seconds left. 🏆⚪️🍀 http://t.co/ddDyf2rBQZ 2 days ago