May 7, 2014, 10:29 AM EST
As a busy weekend of Notre Dame athletics is about to get underway shortly and the NFL Draft is slated to begin tomorrow night, let’s take a quick look at how our alums did in the professional ranks last night before getting into the “meat” of “Things I Found Interesting.”
Last night a pair of Notre Dame baseball alums saw action in the MLB. Jeff Manship of the Philadelphia Phillies tossed an inning of scoreless, no hit baseball in an extra inning loss for his squad. A.J. Pollock re-entered the lineup after five games off due to injury and notched a double and a walk in four appearances at the “dish.”
Now what did we miss …
1. Samardzija Has No Regret (Indianapolis Star)
Although he hasn’t been able to tally a win this season with the Cubs, Irish alum Jeff Samardzija has no regrets about choosing baseball over playing on the gridiron in the NFL. Click the link above to read more.
2. Kavanagh Leads Irish (WSBT)
Only two seasons into his career, sophomore Matt Kavanagh has already made his mark on the Notre Dame lacrosse program. Click the link above to read more.
3. Louis Replacing An All-Pro? (Boston Herald)
As the NFL Draft fast approaches on Thursday night, the mock drafts are ever changing. But we are not posting another one of those today, check out this story about the possibility of Louis Nix replacing Vince Wilfork Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— The Daily Domer (@DailyDomer) May 7, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
This may not have ended well for Irish alum A.J. Pollock last year, but this year should be a different story.
Did You Know?
The 17 years prior to Brian Kelly coming to Notre Dame the Irish had FOUR student-athletes drafted in the first round. If just one of the three possible first round picks this year (Zach Martin, Louis Nix III, Stephon Tuitt) is drafted in the first round, he will then tie the previous 17 years in just four years.
— Michael Bertsch (@NDsidBertschy) May 6, 2014
- Baseball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
- Softball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
- M. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Wins Over Kentucky, Cleveland State
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame's 16-Game Winning Streak Ends Against Wisconsin
- Fencing. Irish Close Out Weekend With Wins In Philly
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Clemson, 90-37
- M. Soccer. Sunday Brunch: The Riley Era-Long Time in the Making
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- At Notre Dame, head coach Theresa Romagnolo stressed the importance of the #NDFamily. We now wish her well as she… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 48 minutes ago
- No. 1️⃣ @NDHockey No. 1️⃣ @NDFencing No. 5️⃣ @ndwbb Three Irish teams with top-🖐 rankings = plenty of reasons to l… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Life comes at you fast. But sometimes, @NDFootball's Te'von Coney comes at you faster. #GoIrish https://t.co/UdpGzTqlHG 2 hours ago
- After No. 5 @ndwbb earned its largest ACC win in program history, @NDSportsBlogger caught up with Kat Westbeld, who… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Junior Alex Lebedev moved to 4-0 in his career at No. 1 singles as @NDMensTennis downed Kentucky and Cleveland Stat… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago