May 7, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
As a busy weekend of Notre Dame athletics is about to get underway shortly and the NFL Draft is slated to begin tomorrow night, let’s take a quick look at how our alums did in the professional ranks last night before getting into the “meat” of “Things I Found Interesting.”
Last night a pair of Notre Dame baseball alums saw action in the MLB. Jeff Manship of the Philadelphia Phillies tossed an inning of scoreless, no hit baseball in an extra inning loss for his squad. A.J. Pollock re-entered the lineup after five games off due to injury and notched a double and a walk in four appearances at the “dish.”
Now what did we miss …
1. Samardzija Has No Regret (Indianapolis Star)
Although he hasn’t been able to tally a win this season with the Cubs, Irish alum Jeff Samardzija has no regrets about choosing baseball over playing on the gridiron in the NFL. Click the link above to read more.
2. Kavanagh Leads Irish (WSBT)
Only two seasons into his career, sophomore Matt Kavanagh has already made his mark on the Notre Dame lacrosse program. Click the link above to read more.
3. Louis Replacing An All-Pro? (Boston Herald)
As the NFL Draft fast approaches on Thursday night, the mock drafts are ever changing. But we are not posting another one of those today, check out this story about the possibility of Louis Nix replacing Vince Wilfork Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— The Daily Domer (@DailyDomer) May 7, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
This may not have ended well for Irish alum A.J. Pollock last year, but this year should be a different story.
Did You Know?
The 17 years prior to Brian Kelly coming to Notre Dame the Irish had FOUR student-athletes drafted in the first round. If just one of the three possible first round picks this year (Zach Martin, Louis Nix III, Stephon Tuitt) is drafted in the first round, he will then tie the previous 17 years in just four years.
— Michael Bertsch (@NDsidBertschy) May 6, 2014
- M. Basketball. Irish To Welcome Hawkeyes In 'Challenge' Rematch
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Named National ITA Arthur Ashe Award Winner
- M. Lacrosse. Monday Brunch: Tough Ending in Columbus for Corrigan’s Crew
- Baseball. Vierling Earns ACC All-Freshman Team Honors
- Softball. #2 Michigan Ousts #23 Irish 6-2 In Ann Arbor Regional Final
- M. Lacrosse. 12th-Rated North Carolina Knocks Out Third Seed Notre Dame
- Softball. #23 Irish Return To Regional Final With Shutouts Of Valpo, Miami
- Baseball. Irish Drop Season Finale To #16 Clemson
- W. Lacrosse. #6 Irish Fall in NCAA Quarterfinals, 10-6
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Experience, Perseverence Leads to Shot at Championship Weekend
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🍀 Quentin Monaghan 2x Captain 4x All-Conference And NOW, Arthur Ashe Award Recipient INFO: und.com/sports/m-tenni… amp.twimg.com/v/83ecdde4-a85… 15 minutes ago
- ☘ Barbara Sullivan & Matt Landis They're 2 of the best defensive players in the nation, & 2 of the best teammates. amp.twimg.com/v/f345da50-232… 5 hours ago
- 🍀 This 86-year-old Irish fan's wish was to see a @NDFootball game. Thanks to her grandchildren, her wish came true. amp.twimg.com/v/3a8df912-1e5… 17 hours ago
- 🍀 This year, @NDsoftball... Made its 18th straight NCAA tourney appearance. Earned its 8th straight 40-win season. https://t.co/JLlftP7Y2o 19 hours ago
- ☘Leading from the start... 9 days into @WNBA season, ND's Kayla McBride ranks 2nd overall in scoring (22 pts/game). https://t.co/Hd5ZcEbu9b 21 hours ago