May 7, 2014, 10:29 AM EST
As a busy weekend of Notre Dame athletics is about to get underway shortly and the NFL Draft is slated to begin tomorrow night, let’s take a quick look at how our alums did in the professional ranks last night before getting into the “meat” of “Things I Found Interesting.”
Last night a pair of Notre Dame baseball alums saw action in the MLB. Jeff Manship of the Philadelphia Phillies tossed an inning of scoreless, no hit baseball in an extra inning loss for his squad. A.J. Pollock re-entered the lineup after five games off due to injury and notched a double and a walk in four appearances at the “dish.”
Now what did we miss …
1. Samardzija Has No Regret (Indianapolis Star)
Although he hasn’t been able to tally a win this season with the Cubs, Irish alum Jeff Samardzija has no regrets about choosing baseball over playing on the gridiron in the NFL. Click the link above to read more.
2. Kavanagh Leads Irish (WSBT)
Only two seasons into his career, sophomore Matt Kavanagh has already made his mark on the Notre Dame lacrosse program. Click the link above to read more.
3. Louis Replacing An All-Pro? (Boston Herald)
As the NFL Draft fast approaches on Thursday night, the mock drafts are ever changing. But we are not posting another one of those today, check out this story about the possibility of Louis Nix replacing Vince Wilfork Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— The Daily Domer (@DailyDomer) May 7, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
This may not have ended well for Irish alum A.J. Pollock last year, but this year should be a different story.
Did You Know?
The 17 years prior to Brian Kelly coming to Notre Dame the Irish had FOUR student-athletes drafted in the first round. If just one of the three possible first round picks this year (Zach Martin, Louis Nix III, Stephon Tuitt) is drafted in the first round, he will then tie the previous 17 years in just four years.
— Michael Bertsch (@NDsidBertschy) May 6, 2014
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Looks to Continue Hot Streak in Arizona
- W. Golf. DiLisio Fires Six-Under Par 138 To Take Two Round Lead
- M. Basketball. Irish Increase Win Streak to Five With Victory Over Georgia Tech
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Another Big Run Prods Irish
- W. Basketball. Irish Beat #8 Seminoles to Retain ACC Championship
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Use Huge Second Half to Defeat Michigan, 16-5
- W. Lacrosse. No. 9 Irish Knock Off No. 8 Duke in Conference Opener
- Fencing. Irish Cruise To Third Consecutive Women's ACC Title, Sweep MVP Honors
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Top No. 8 Seminoles to Win ACC Regular Season Title
- Swimming & Diving. Three More Notre Dame Swimmers Likely To Qualify For NCAA Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏅 @ACCTrackField Champion! @NDXCTF's Anna Rohrer wins her 1st individual ACC track title in the 5,000m. 📰… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 17 minutes ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️ 5th Straight Win 💯 Longest Active Streak in @theACC Go inside the locker room after @NDmbb's 64-60 win over Georgia… 54 minutes ago
- ☘️ 5th Straight Win 💯 Longest Active Streak in @theACC Go inside the locker room after @NDmbb's 64-60 win over Geo… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- ☘️ 3 STRAIGHT ACC TITLES Women's @NDFencing team downs North Carolina 20-7 for its 3rd straight @ACCFencing title. und.com/sports/c-fenc/… 13 hours ago
- 4x ACC CHAMPS! @ndwbb earns its 4th regular season ACC title with 79-61 win vs FSU. ND's won 6 straight regular s… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago