May 14, 2014, 9:13 AM EST
Let’s get started right away on the alumni front talking about the Irish alums in the professional baseball ranks.
Since April 1st, Arizona Diamondbacks centerfielder A.J. Pollock has hit a scorching .324, knocking four home runs and stealing five bases (all coming in May).
Check out Pollock’s long ball from Monday night’s game against the Washington Nationals:
In other news in the Major League, John Axford pitched one inning of perfect ball for the Cleveland Indians in a 5-4 loss to Toronto.
Oh, in other news, Jeff Samardzija is still winless for the Chicago Cubs with his paltry 1.45 ERA.
Now what did we miss …
1. Taking A Look At The Backs (One Foot Down)
One of the big questions people are wondering heading into the 2014 football season is about the running back corps. Will they shine brighter than in 2013? Click the link above to read One Foot Down’s take.
2. Pollock Playing Well (SI.com)
As we mentioned above, former Irish baseball student-athlete A.J. Pollock is currently ripping the cover off the baseball. He was moved to centerfield this offseason after the Diamondbacks made a key trade, sending one of their best player’s away to make way for the talented Pollock. Click the link above to read more.
3. Niklas Up For Blocking (AZ Central)
He hasn’t always been seen as a dominant blocker while at Notre Dame, but personally, I don’t think he was given much of a chance. How will Troy Niklas do at the next level when he is asked to get in a three-point stance and run block? Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
No longer a National recruiter, I'm International! pic.twitter.com/lrtRXEq0BI
— Mike Elston (@CoachMikeElston) May 13, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Just because he threw a perfect inning on the bump last night, I felt like I should give John Axford (and his ‘stache) some love in this segment.
Did You Know?
Today, I felt like I should provide you with a triumvirate of “DYK’s” … So here it goes (yes, that rhymed) …
– Notre Dame football had at least six players drafted in consecutive years in 2013-14 for the first time since 2002-03.
– Notre Dame football had five players chosen in the first three rounds of the 2014 NFL Draft. It’s the most since the Irish had a school-record seven players selected in the top three rounds of the 1994 draft.
– Troy Niklas was the seventh Notre Dame tight end to be chosen in the top-two rounds of the NFL Draft since 1992. No other school in the nation has had more than four over that span.
- Baseball. Streaking Irish Open ACC Play At Georgia Tech
- M. Tennis. No. 23 Irish Prep For ACC Play
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: ACC Legend Achonwa Told It Like It Was
- W. Tennis. Tennis Runs In The Family
- Softball. Irish Softball Strikeout Cancer Trivia Night Sponsorship Opportunities Available
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Pulls Away From Louisville, 71-59
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Head To Greensboro For ACC Championship
- W. Basketball. Loyd Named ACC Player of the Year, Turner Is ACC Freshman of the Year
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Love the behind the scenes pics from the @UnderArmour Chicago store opening? Follow @NDLicensing for more sneak peeks http://t.co/aEAYpTHVUo 4 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: Such an exciting time for @NDFootball to be part of the @UnderArmour family. #UABrandHouse #UAChicago #SubwayAlums htt… 4 hours ago
- RT @NDLicensing: The @FightingIrish are on display at the new @UnderArmour Chicago! #UAChicago #NotreDame #FightingIrish http://t.co/cTn0yO… 4 hours ago
- RT @NDLicensing: Spotted at #UAChicago: @CoachBrianKelly enjoying the @FightingIrish festivities. #NotreDame http://t.co/eJzHn1RPTG 4 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: ICYMI: Our annual Strikeout Cancer Trivia Night is on Friday, April, 17th. For more info on how to sponsor click here http:… 4 hours ago