May 14, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
Let’s get started right away on the alumni front talking about the Irish alums in the professional baseball ranks.
Since April 1st, Arizona Diamondbacks centerfielder A.J. Pollock has hit a scorching .324, knocking four home runs and stealing five bases (all coming in May).
Check out Pollock’s long ball from Monday night’s game against the Washington Nationals:
In other news in the Major League, John Axford pitched one inning of perfect ball for the Cleveland Indians in a 5-4 loss to Toronto.
Oh, in other news, Jeff Samardzija is still winless for the Chicago Cubs with his paltry 1.45 ERA.
Now what did we miss …
1. Taking A Look At The Backs (One Foot Down)
One of the big questions people are wondering heading into the 2014 football season is about the running back corps. Will they shine brighter than in 2013? Click the link above to read One Foot Down’s take.
2. Pollock Playing Well (SI.com)
As we mentioned above, former Irish baseball student-athlete A.J. Pollock is currently ripping the cover off the baseball. He was moved to centerfield this offseason after the Diamondbacks made a key trade, sending one of their best player’s away to make way for the talented Pollock. Click the link above to read more.
3. Niklas Up For Blocking (AZ Central)
He hasn’t always been seen as a dominant blocker while at Notre Dame, but personally, I don’t think he was given much of a chance. How will Troy Niklas do at the next level when he is asked to get in a three-point stance and run block? Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
No longer a National recruiter, I'm International! pic.twitter.com/lrtRXEq0BI
— Mike Elston (@CoachMikeElston) May 13, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Just because he threw a perfect inning on the bump last night, I felt like I should give John Axford (and his ‘stache) some love in this segment.
Did You Know?
Today, I felt like I should provide you with a triumvirate of “DYK’s” … So here it goes (yes, that rhymed) …
– Notre Dame football had at least six players drafted in consecutive years in 2013-14 for the first time since 2002-03.
– Notre Dame football had five players chosen in the first three rounds of the 2014 NFL Draft. It’s the most since the Irish had a school-record seven players selected in the top three rounds of the 1994 draft.
– Troy Niklas was the seventh Notre Dame tight end to be chosen in the top-two rounds of the NFL Draft since 1992. No other school in the nation has had more than four over that span.
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Lacrosse Spring Break: Adjustments on the Fly
- Softball. Changes To Irish-Virginia Tech Softball Series Announced
- Football. Brandon Wimbush: His Chance Now
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Honored As A Richter Award Finalist
- W. Basketball. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Battle Buckeyes
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Virginia Tech
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: NC State & Miami
- Softball. Irish Freshmen Rule The Field At Melissa Cook Vs. Michigan St.
- W. Soccer. Spring Opener With Purdue Moved Up To Friday
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Eyes up. Stay tough. @NDFootball is focused at every practice. https://t.co/ehgGUFJiQJ 1 hour ago
- ☘ Winning With Style! Michigan State goes down as @NDSoftball walks-off in home opener. ND 11 | MSU 3 https://t.co/vgKqj4gWpR 19 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH vs. BUCKEYES Watch #2 @NDlacrosse take on #4 Ohio State at home. Saturday | 2pm TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago
- 💯 Fresh Jerseys ☀️ Bright Sky ☘ It's Game Day! @NDSoftball kicks off its home opener. ND vs. MSU | 4:30pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ⚾️ IRISH WIN HOME OPENER @NDBaseball recorded two 5-run innings in its 12-1 win over Northern Illinois. 📽 Highlig… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago