May 14, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
Let’s get started right away on the alumni front talking about the Irish alums in the professional baseball ranks.
Since April 1st, Arizona Diamondbacks centerfielder A.J. Pollock has hit a scorching .324, knocking four home runs and stealing five bases (all coming in May).
Check out Pollock’s long ball from Monday night’s game against the Washington Nationals:
In other news in the Major League, John Axford pitched one inning of perfect ball for the Cleveland Indians in a 5-4 loss to Toronto.
Oh, in other news, Jeff Samardzija is still winless for the Chicago Cubs with his paltry 1.45 ERA.
Now what did we miss …
1. Taking A Look At The Backs (One Foot Down)
One of the big questions people are wondering heading into the 2014 football season is about the running back corps. Will they shine brighter than in 2013? Click the link above to read One Foot Down’s take.
2. Pollock Playing Well (SI.com)
As we mentioned above, former Irish baseball student-athlete A.J. Pollock is currently ripping the cover off the baseball. He was moved to centerfield this offseason after the Diamondbacks made a key trade, sending one of their best player’s away to make way for the talented Pollock. Click the link above to read more.
3. Niklas Up For Blocking (AZ Central)
He hasn’t always been seen as a dominant blocker while at Notre Dame, but personally, I don’t think he was given much of a chance. How will Troy Niklas do at the next level when he is asked to get in a three-point stance and run block? Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
No longer a National recruiter, I'm International! pic.twitter.com/lrtRXEq0BI
— Mike Elston (@CoachMikeElston) May 13, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Just because he threw a perfect inning on the bump last night, I felt like I should give John Axford (and his ‘stache) some love in this segment.
Did You Know?
Today, I felt like I should provide you with a triumvirate of “DYK’s” … So here it goes (yes, that rhymed) …
– Notre Dame football had at least six players drafted in consecutive years in 2013-14 for the first time since 2002-03.
– Notre Dame football had five players chosen in the first three rounds of the 2014 NFL Draft. It’s the most since the Irish had a school-record seven players selected in the top three rounds of the 1994 draft.
– Troy Niklas was the seventh Notre Dame tight end to be chosen in the top-two rounds of the NFL Draft since 1992. No other school in the nation has had more than four over that span.
- Football. Notre Dame Stadium: It's a Go
- W. Soccer. Offense Erupts in #18 Notre Dame's 4-0 Win
- Football. Bob Elliott: A Warrior for All Seasons
- Football. Limited Tickets Remain for Irish Football Home Opener Versus Temple
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish, Valpo Clash In Annual Grassroot Soccer Contest
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
- Football. EXCLUSIVE: Rockne Heritage Uniforms Unveiled
- M. Lacrosse. Four Irish Alums Set To Play For MLL Championship
- Cross Country. Cross Country Tabs Four Captains for 2017 Season
- W. Soccer. What to Watch: Butler vs. Notre Dame
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 13 Days #13 Pat Eilers scored his 1st & only career TD vs. #1 Miami on the road to… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- ☘ Corbett Family Hall The new building at ND Stadium has: 🔹 Media Center 🔹 Department of Psychology 🔹 Department… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 9 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: So good to see that celebration on the field again, Jaylon! 🎳🏈🎳 👀@thejaylonsmith https://t.co/pLZRbpQDM9 13 hours ago
- So good to see that celebration on the field again, Jaylon! 🎳🏈🎳 👀@thejaylonsmith https://t.co/pLZRbpQDM9 1 day ago
- Welcome back, Jaylon. 👀@thejaylonsmith https://t.co/kV6u5HX9Z8 1 day ago