May 16, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
The next few days are very important for Notre Dame athletics on the national stage.
Here’s a quick rundown of this weekend’s postseason schedule:
The softball squad begins its run to the NCAA Championship at 6 p.m. (ET) on Friday in Los Angeles, Calif.
The men’s tennis team looks to get to the NCAA Quarterfinals on Friday afternoon. They take on ACC foe Virginia at noon in Athens, Ga.
One of our last chances to bring home another ACC Championship during the 2013-14 season takes place in Clemson, S.C., on Lake Hartwell as the rowing squad takes to the water on Friday.
On Saturday, men’s lacrosse will play Albany for the right to get back to the NCAA National Semifinals. The match is set to begin at 2:30 p.m. (ET).
Lastly, Niall Platt of the men’s golf team continues his individual run at a NCAA Regional title at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Ill.
Before we get underway, the Anaheim Ducks take on the L.A. Kings tonight in game seven of their Stanley Cup Playoff series. The lone Irish hockey connection remains on the roster of the Ducks. Can Kyle Palmieri keep up the streak of former Irish student-athletes making it to the final round of the league’s playoffs? We’ll find out tonight.
Take a second to watch Palmieri’s wraparound goal from game six
Now what did we miss …
1. Family Dy-“Nasty” (WNDU)
The softball squad at Notre Dame continues its great season this weekend out in California, but before we turn our attention to the team, let’s take a look at the captain (and her father), Chloe Sagonowich. Click the link above to watch a great video on Chloe and her dad, Jerry.
2. Connaughton Caps Off Season (WSBT)
After another fine year on the basketball court, junior Pat Connaughton once again took his trusty right arm to the diamond. Thursday night Pat capped off his season with a stellar performance on the bump for the Irish. Click the link above to read more.
3. The Observer Selects Top Male Athlete (The Observer)
The student-run newspaper for the tri-campus area of Notre Dame, Holy Cross and Saint Mary’s selected a Male Student-Athlete of the Year on Friday. Click the link above to find out who took home the honor.
Tweet Of The Day
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) May 15, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
I have to give a little love to the men’s lacrosse squad before they play on Saturday for the right to get to another NCAA National Semifinal. Good luck boys!
Did You Know?
The Irish had four student-athletes named to the Capital One Academic At-Large All-District V First Team on Thursday. Ashley Armstrong (golf), Gerek Meinhardt (fencing), Emma Reaney (swimming) and Peter Schneider (hockey) were the Notre Dame recipients. To be eligible, the student-athlete must hold at least a 3.30 GPA. Armstrong sports a 3.89 in mechanical engineering, Meinhardt has a 3.83 while pursuing his MBA, Reaney has a 3.68 in design and Schneider rounds out the group with a paltry 3.96 while double-majoring in economics and business AND a minor in actuary.
- Softball. Irish Strikeout Cancer With Arkansas
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato Named Tewaaraton Award Nominee
- Track. Irish Conclude Day One of Penn Relays
- Baseball. Irish & Blue Devils Play A Pair Friday
- W. Tennis. Irish Fall To Clemson In Second Round Of ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Irish Fall In 4-3 Heartbreaker To Louisville At ACC Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Rally Not Enough Against Eagles
- M. Soccer. Irish Take Pitch For Annual Clash With Mexico On Friday
- Baseball. Duke Visits For Pivotal League Series
- W. Soccer. Irish Slated To Face Off With Mexico In Annual Spring Finale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ @NDSoftball is on a mission to fight pediatric cancer. Coach Gumpf's daughter Tatum is a survivor. Hear Tatum's… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- That #FridayFeeling! ☀️ 15 Days Until Summer 🏈 120 Days Until College Football ☘ 127 Days Until Kickoff in ND Stad… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈 #TBT to 2016 Ronnie Stanley & Will Fuller became @NDFootball's 65th & 66th 1st round NFL draft picks (3rd all-ti… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 22 hours ago
- ☘ 300 CLUB Congrats, @NDWomensLax goalie Sam Giacolone on her 300th career save during ACC Championships. Sam is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ⚾️ IRISH BLANK EASTERN MICHIGAN Matt Vierling scored 2 runs and 3 RBI in @NDBaseball's 5-0 victory. 📽 Highlights https://t.co/evwnYZL6H3 1 day ago