May 19, 2014, 10:08 AM EST
A fun and exciting weekend of athletics is behind the Notre Dame family.
Numerous teams were in action this weekend, from the men’s lacrosse team (NCAA quarterfinals) to the softball squad (NCAA regionals). Let’s quickly recap the happenings.
The softball squad ended its stellar season at the hands of No. 2 UCLA on Sunday in a, 1-0, thriller. The squad finished its season at 41-13.
Our rowing team found itself squarely entrenched in a battle with Virginia at the inaugural ACC Rowing Championship. The Irish would wind up just a hair short, finishing in second place to the Cavaliers.
The men’s lacrosse team is back in the NCAA semifinals once again after beating Albany in the quarterfinal round after a hectic comeback.
Lastly, Niall Platt of the men’s golf team finished his storied Irish career on the links last weekend, playing individually at the NCAA regional at Rich Harvest Farms in Illinois.
Before we get underway, have you seen the tear that former Notre Dame baseball student-athlete A.J. Pollock is on? After starting the season 0-13 from the dish, Pollock has been on a tear, batting .350 since, including .459 in his last 10 games (17-37).
Now what did we miss …
1. Irish Rally To NCAA Semifinals (LaxPower)
Another national semifinal berth was notched by the men’s lacrosse team this past weekend, setting up a rematch with ACC-foe Maryland. Click the link above to read about their crazy comeback win over Albany.
2. Irish Finish Baseball Season In Style (South Bend Tribune)
A year that allowed the Irish to play just six “true” home games came to an end this past weekend on newly “turfed” Jake Kline Field. The Irish battled to the end, winning five of their last six contests (all at home). Click the link above to read more and watch how the last game of the season (vs. Pittsburgh) finished in dramatic fashion.
3. What Tuitt Learned At ND (Steelers.com)
One of Notre Dame’s most feared defensive players over the past few seasons, Stephon Tuitt, was asked how Notre Dame helped him get to where he is today. The answers will make you proud of this former Irish student-athlete. Click the link above to learn more.
Tweet Of The Day
The men’s soccer team is heading to Zimbabwe on Monday night, so I posed the question to their videographer and the team on how the packing is going for their three weeks away …
— Ryan Camden (@rscamden) May 19, 2014
— ND Men's Soccer (@NDMenSoccer) May 19, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Notre Dame is known for having fantastic commencement speakers, and this year was no different. Take a few minutes to listen to Rev. Ray Hammond.
Did You Know?
If the men’s lacrosse team brings home an NCAA championship this weekend, that would be two team titles for the Irish this school year (with men’s soccer winning in the fall). The last time the Irish had two NCAA titles in the same season was in 2010-11, when the women’s soccer team and the fencing squad won titles.
- M. Soccer. Sunday Brunch: The Riley Era-Long Time in the Making
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Find Success At St. John's Invitational
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Look to Carry Momentum into Clemson Game Sunday
- M. Ice Hockey. Replay: Irish Hockey Rolls On
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The nation's top-ranked hockey team, @NDHockey, faces Wisconsin, Sunday at 3 p.m. ET at Chicago's @UnitedCenter.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 16 minutes ago
- In its first game since downing No. 6 Tennessee, No. 5 @ndwbb closes out a three-game homestand with Clemson, Sunda… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 56 minutes ago
- "It's a big venue and a big situation." No. 1 @NDHockey and its program-best 16-game winning streak heads north to… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- The last time @ndwbb hit the court, the No. 5 Irish battled back for a W against No. 6 Tennessee in the fifth best… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- A hug is worth a thousand words. 📸: @ndwbb #NationalHuggingDay #GoIrish https://t.co/Wr0QrMAFag 5 hours ago