May 19, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
A fun and exciting weekend of athletics is behind the Notre Dame family.
Numerous teams were in action this weekend, from the men’s lacrosse team (NCAA quarterfinals) to the softball squad (NCAA regionals). Let’s quickly recap the happenings.
The softball squad ended its stellar season at the hands of No. 2 UCLA on Sunday in a, 1-0, thriller. The squad finished its season at 41-13.
Our rowing team found itself squarely entrenched in a battle with Virginia at the inaugural ACC Rowing Championship. The Irish would wind up just a hair short, finishing in second place to the Cavaliers.
The men’s lacrosse team is back in the NCAA semifinals once again after beating Albany in the quarterfinal round after a hectic comeback.
Lastly, Niall Platt of the men’s golf team finished his storied Irish career on the links last weekend, playing individually at the NCAA regional at Rich Harvest Farms in Illinois.
Before we get underway, have you seen the tear that former Notre Dame baseball student-athlete A.J. Pollock is on? After starting the season 0-13 from the dish, Pollock has been on a tear, batting .350 since, including .459 in his last 10 games (17-37).
Now what did we miss …
1. Irish Rally To NCAA Semifinals (LaxPower)
Another national semifinal berth was notched by the men’s lacrosse team this past weekend, setting up a rematch with ACC-foe Maryland. Click the link above to read about their crazy comeback win over Albany.
2. Irish Finish Baseball Season In Style (South Bend Tribune)
A year that allowed the Irish to play just six “true” home games came to an end this past weekend on newly “turfed” Jake Kline Field. The Irish battled to the end, winning five of their last six contests (all at home). Click the link above to read more and watch how the last game of the season (vs. Pittsburgh) finished in dramatic fashion.
3. What Tuitt Learned At ND (Steelers.com)
One of Notre Dame’s most feared defensive players over the past few seasons, Stephon Tuitt, was asked how Notre Dame helped him get to where he is today. The answers will make you proud of this former Irish student-athlete. Click the link above to learn more.
Tweet Of The Day
The men’s soccer team is heading to Zimbabwe on Monday night, so I posed the question to their videographer and the team on how the packing is going for their three weeks away …
— Ryan Camden (@rscamden) May 19, 2014
— ND Men's Soccer (@NDMenSoccer) May 19, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Notre Dame is known for having fantastic commencement speakers, and this year was no different. Take a few minutes to listen to Rev. Ray Hammond.
Did You Know?
If the men’s lacrosse team brings home an NCAA championship this weekend, that would be two team titles for the Irish this school year (with men’s soccer winning in the fall). The last time the Irish had two NCAA titles in the same season was in 2010-11, when the women’s soccer team and the fencing squad won titles.
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Notre Dame Baseball Sees Big Jump Up the Curve
- Softball. Irish Great Koerner Inks Contract With USSSA Pride
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo's First Season Set Tone For Irish Soccer
- Baseball. Baseball In NCAA Regionals For First Time Since 2006
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Falls In NCAA Singles Championship Semifinal
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Extra: Notre Dame Men's Lax Drops Out Of NCAA Title Chase By Slimmest Of Margins
- Baseball. No. 20 Irish Fall To No. 6 Miami, 6-5, In Wild Finish
- W. Lacrosse. Katherine McManus Claims Yeardley Reynolds Love Unsung Hero Award
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Menâ€™s Lacrosse Post Game Notes
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Men's Lacrosse Postgame Quotes
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.