May 21, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Some huge news among our Olympic sports went down yesterday that shocked many in the Notre Dame community. But first, let’s just take a second to look at the final episode of “Path To Greatness,” starring Louis Nix and two other NFL Draft hopefuls.
Now what did we miss …
1. Coach Piane Set To Retire (Journal Gazette)
After a storied 39-year career as the head coach of the Irish track and field program, Joe Piane is hanging it up after the conclusion of the outdoor track season. Click the link above to read more.
2. Jagielo Homers, Ties League Lead (MiLB.com)
After being drafted in the first round of the MLB Draft last year, Eric Jagielo has started to pick up the pace in the New York Yankees minor league system. Click the link above to read more.
3. Rowing Selected To NCAA Championship (NCAA.com)
After another successful season on the water, the 10th-ranked Irish rowing team was selected to their third-straight NCAA Championship. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
Our continued work with Upper Deck has allowed us to create five trading cards of members of the Notre Dame community. Yesterday, Sharpley was honored by former Notre Dame football player and current Monogram Club football relations director Reggie Brooks. To read more about the presentation, click here.
— Notre Dame Football (@NDFootball) May 20, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Let’s look at last weekend’s Commencement through the eyes of Irish student-athletes.
Did You Know?
Joe Piane held his position as a head coach at Notre Dame for 39 years, the second-longest tenure for a head coach at the University. The only head coach to hold that position longer was baseball coach Jake Kline, who held his position from 1934-1975 for a total of 42 seasons.
- Softball. Irish Strikeout Cancer With Arkansas
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato Named Tewaaraton Award Nominee
- Track. Irish Conclude Day One of Penn Relays
- Baseball. Irish & Blue Devils Play A Pair Friday
- W. Tennis. Irish Fall To Clemson In Second Round Of ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Irish Fall In 4-3 Heartbreaker To Louisville At ACC Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Rally Not Enough Against Eagles
- M. Soccer. Irish Take Pitch For Annual Clash With Mexico On Friday
- Baseball. Duke Visits For Pivotal League Series
- W. Soccer. Irish Slated To Face Off With Mexico In Annual Spring Finale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ @NDSoftball is on a mission to fight pediatric cancer. Coach Gumpf's daughter Tatum is a survivor. Hear Tatum's… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- That #FridayFeeling! ☀️ 15 Days Until Summer 🏈 120 Days Until College Football ☘ 127 Days Until Kickoff in ND Stad… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈 #TBT to 2016 Ronnie Stanley & Will Fuller became @NDFootball's 65th & 66th 1st round NFL draft picks (3rd all-ti… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 22 hours ago
- ☘ 300 CLUB Congrats, @NDWomensLax goalie Sam Giacolone on her 300th career save during ACC Championships. Sam is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ⚾️ IRISH BLANK EASTERN MICHIGAN Matt Vierling scored 2 runs and 3 RBI in @NDBaseball's 5-0 victory. 📽 Highlights https://t.co/evwnYZL6H3 1 day ago