May 21, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Some huge news among our Olympic sports went down yesterday that shocked many in the Notre Dame community. But first, let’s just take a second to look at the final episode of “Path To Greatness,” starring Louis Nix and two other NFL Draft hopefuls.
Now what did we miss …
1. Coach Piane Set To Retire (Journal Gazette)
After a storied 39-year career as the head coach of the Irish track and field program, Joe Piane is hanging it up after the conclusion of the outdoor track season. Click the link above to read more.
2. Jagielo Homers, Ties League Lead (MiLB.com)
After being drafted in the first round of the MLB Draft last year, Eric Jagielo has started to pick up the pace in the New York Yankees minor league system. Click the link above to read more.
3. Rowing Selected To NCAA Championship (NCAA.com)
After another successful season on the water, the 10th-ranked Irish rowing team was selected to their third-straight NCAA Championship. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
Our continued work with Upper Deck has allowed us to create five trading cards of members of the Notre Dame community. Yesterday, Sharpley was honored by former Notre Dame football player and current Monogram Club football relations director Reggie Brooks. To read more about the presentation, click here.
— Notre Dame Football (@NDFootball) May 20, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Let’s look at last weekend’s Commencement through the eyes of Irish student-athletes.
Did You Know?
Joe Piane held his position as a head coach at Notre Dame for 39 years, the second-longest tenure for a head coach at the University. The only head coach to hold that position longer was baseball coach Jake Kline, who held his position from 1934-1975 for a total of 42 seasons.
- Football. Limited Tickets Remain for Irish Football Home Opener Versus Temple
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish, Valpo Clash In Annual Grassroot Soccer Contest
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
- Football. EXCLUSIVE: Rockne Heritage Uniforms Unveiled
- M. Lacrosse. Four Irish Alums Set To Play For MLL Championship
- Cross Country. Cross Country Tabs Four Captains for 2017 Season
- W. Soccer. What to Watch: Butler vs. Notre Dame
- M. Basketball. Irish Legend Tom Hawkins Passes Away
- W. Soccer. Irish Add Casper to Women’s Soccer Staff
- Bigger Than Brick. Premium Seating Added To Football Game Day Experience
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- So good to see that celebration on the field again, Jaylon! 🎳🏈🎳 👀@thejaylonsmith https://t.co/pLZRbpQDM9 21 minutes ago
- Welcome back, Jaylon. 👀@thejaylonsmith https://t.co/kV6u5HX9Z8 1 hour ago
- ☘ UP CLOSE Duncan Student Center at ND Stadium! Student Sports Facility Study Spaces Lounges & More INFO:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- ☘We're excited for students to start classes soon in the new buildings at ND Stadium! 📸 O'Neill Hall for Departmen… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- 🏈Countdown to Kickoff: 14 Days #14 DeShone Kizer was drafted to the @Browns in 2017. He set ND’s single-season ru… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 10 hours ago