May 21, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
Some huge news among our Olympic sports went down yesterday that shocked many in the Notre Dame community. But first, let’s just take a second to look at the final episode of “Path To Greatness,” starring Louis Nix and two other NFL Draft hopefuls.
Now what did we miss …
1. Coach Piane Set To Retire (Journal Gazette)
After a storied 39-year career as the head coach of the Irish track and field program, Joe Piane is hanging it up after the conclusion of the outdoor track season. Click the link above to read more.
2. Jagielo Homers, Ties League Lead (MiLB.com)
After being drafted in the first round of the MLB Draft last year, Eric Jagielo has started to pick up the pace in the New York Yankees minor league system. Click the link above to read more.
3. Rowing Selected To NCAA Championship (NCAA.com)
After another successful season on the water, the 10th-ranked Irish rowing team was selected to their third-straight NCAA Championship. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
Our continued work with Upper Deck has allowed us to create five trading cards of members of the Notre Dame community. Yesterday, Sharpley was honored by former Notre Dame football player and current Monogram Club football relations director Reggie Brooks. To read more about the presentation, click here.
— Notre Dame Football (@NDFootball) May 20, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Let’s look at last weekend’s Commencement through the eyes of Irish student-athletes.
Did You Know?
Joe Piane held his position as a head coach at Notre Dame for 39 years, the second-longest tenure for a head coach at the University. The only head coach to hold that position longer was baseball coach Jake Kline, who held his position from 1934-1975 for a total of 42 seasons.
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep DH With 6-1 Win Over Bowling Green
- Track & Field. Harris Defends Title in Women's Mile to Close Out ACC Championships
- M. Basketball. Farrell's Heroics Give Irish Road Win At Wake Forest
- Baseball. LaManna, No. 30 Irish Walk-Off Against Purdue
- Fencing. #1 Irish Women Dominate ACC Individual Competition
- W. Lacrosse. Irish prepped to take on Elon
- M. Lacrosse. Strong Fourth Quarter Pushes No. 7 Notre Dame Past Richmond, 11-7
- W. Tennis. Irish Take ACC Match From Pitt, 4-0
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Vie for Regular Season ACC Title on Sunday
- Softball. #25 Irish Close Day 2 At MNCC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 💪 fourth quarter, 💪 @NDLacrosse win! The No. 7️⃣ Irish took down Richmond behind Brendan Gleason's three goals and… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago
- Game-winning bucket ➡️ Matt Farrell! @NDmbb downed Wake Forest behind 20-plus point efforts from Martinas Geben, M… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
- The ✌️nd game of @NDWomensLax's homestand kicks off when the Irish host Elon, Sunday at 1 p.m. ET. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-lacro… 6 hours ago
- ☘️🔥 Green jerseys, straight fire. Catch @NDHockey as they send off the senior class in their signature green jerse… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- ✅ Top-25 showdown ✅ Senior Day ✅ ACC 🏆 on the line No. 5 @ndwbb hosts No. 21 NC State as the Irish close out the r… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago