May 22, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
As school ends, many students find their way back to their hometown and either obtain employment for a few months or just “chill,” but for soon-to-be sophomore Jordan Ferreira, she will be teeing it up with the best in her sport at famed Pinehurst No. 2 for the 2014 U.S. Women’s Open in late June.
There have been tons of great memories made on the No. 2 course at Pinehurst, one of the more memorable in my eyes shines a spotlight on the late Payne Stewart as he dueled Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods in 1999.
Just the sixth player in Irish women’s golf history to qualify for the Open, Ferreira joins the likes of 2012 graduate Becca Huffer and teammate Ashley Armstrong.
On May 20th, Ferreira teed it up for sectional qualifying at Rainer Country Club in Seattle, Wash. With the course playing to par 72, she opened up the 36-hole format with a 77. Knowing she needed to come out firing on the final 18, all Ferreira did was set a new women’s course record by carding a cool, two-under par 70.
The U.S. Women’s Open will not be the first national USGA event that Ferreira has played in. Back in 2011, she qualified for the U.S. Women’s Amateur at Rhode Island Country Club. In her first test on the USGA national stage, she finished in 119th place, after taking 156 (75-81) strokes over 36 holes.
During her freshman year at Notre Dame, Ferreira played in all 11 tournaments for the Irish, finishing with a 75.61 stroke average on the year.
Ferreira notched four top-25’s in 2013-14, finishing as high as eighth (tied) at the IU Fall Kickoff on the treacherous Purgatory course in Noblesville, Ind.
Oh, and did I mention she won the Pacific Northwest Jr. Girls’ Amateur Championship in 2012?
- Softball. Irish Freshmen Rule The Field At Melissa Cook Vs. Michigan St.
- W. Soccer. Spring Opener With Purdue Moved Up To Friday
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Northeast Regional Awaits
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving Set to Compete at NCAA Championships
- W. Soccer. Yu Heads To Camp With U-23 Women's National Team
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2017 NCAA Fencing Championships
- Swimming & Diving. Inside Irish: 2017 NCAA Division I Women's Swimming and Diving Championships
- Baseball. Irish Walk By Huskies
- Softball. Irish Mark Return To Melissa Cook Stadium Vs. MSU
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ Winning With Style! Michigan State goes down as @NDSoftball walks-off in home opener. ND 11 | MSU 3 https://t.co/vgKqj4gWpR 13 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH vs. BUCKEYES Watch #2 @NDlacrosse take on #4 Ohio State at home. Saturday | 2pm TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- 💯 Fresh Jerseys ☀️ Bright Sky ☘ It's Game Day! @NDSoftball kicks off its home opener. ND vs. MSU | 4:30pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH WIN HOME OPENER @NDBaseball recorded two 5-run innings in its 12-1 win over Northern Illinois. 📽 Highlig… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ IRISH DOMINATE ACC FENCING Men's & Women's @NDFencing teams combine for 4 of 6 ACC Fencer of the Year awards. und.com/sports/c-fenc/… 1 day ago