May 22, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
As school ends, many students find their way back to their hometown and either obtain employment for a few months or just “chill,” but for soon-to-be sophomore Jordan Ferreira, she will be teeing it up with the best in her sport at famed Pinehurst No. 2 for the 2014 U.S. Women’s Open in late June.
There have been tons of great memories made on the No. 2 course at Pinehurst, one of the more memorable in my eyes shines a spotlight on the late Payne Stewart as he dueled Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods in 1999.
Just the sixth player in Irish women’s golf history to qualify for the Open, Ferreira joins the likes of 2012 graduate Becca Huffer and teammate Ashley Armstrong.
On May 20th, Ferreira teed it up for sectional qualifying at Rainer Country Club in Seattle, Wash. With the course playing to par 72, she opened up the 36-hole format with a 77. Knowing she needed to come out firing on the final 18, all Ferreira did was set a new women’s course record by carding a cool, two-under par 70.
The U.S. Women’s Open will not be the first national USGA event that Ferreira has played in. Back in 2011, she qualified for the U.S. Women’s Amateur at Rhode Island Country Club. In her first test on the USGA national stage, she finished in 119th place, after taking 156 (75-81) strokes over 36 holes.
During her freshman year at Notre Dame, Ferreira played in all 11 tournaments for the Irish, finishing with a 75.61 stroke average on the year.
Ferreira notched four top-25’s in 2013-14, finishing as high as eighth (tied) at the IU Fall Kickoff on the treacherous Purgatory course in Noblesville, Ind.
Oh, and did I mention she won the Pacific Northwest Jr. Girls’ Amateur Championship in 2012?
- W. Basketball. Rivalry Renewal in Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- Track & Field. Track & Field Lands Seven on All-ACC Academic Team
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #3 - 5 ND 🏀 players reached 1,000 career pts in 2016-17. B. Colson L. Allen S. Vast… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 66 Days Coach Ara Parseghian receives the 1966 NCAA title trophy after leading @NDFootball… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- For his perseverance after the loss of his wife, @NDmbb alum Monty Williams received the @NBA Sager Strong Award. https://t.co/l0S0Qt7ur5 6 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #3-Last year Bonzie Colson led @NDmbb in scoring. He attributes his success to st… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #3-@NDHockey 2nd Team All-American Anders Bjork impacts a local 3rd grade class.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 10 hours ago