May 22, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
As school ends, many students find their way back to their hometown and either obtain employment for a few months or just “chill,” but for soon-to-be sophomore Jordan Ferreira, she will be teeing it up with the best in her sport at famed Pinehurst No. 2 for the 2014 U.S. Women’s Open in late June.
There have been tons of great memories made on the No. 2 course at Pinehurst, one of the more memorable in my eyes shines a spotlight on the late Payne Stewart as he dueled Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods in 1999.
Just the sixth player in Irish women’s golf history to qualify for the Open, Ferreira joins the likes of 2012 graduate Becca Huffer and teammate Ashley Armstrong.
On May 20th, Ferreira teed it up for sectional qualifying at Rainer Country Club in Seattle, Wash. With the course playing to par 72, she opened up the 36-hole format with a 77. Knowing she needed to come out firing on the final 18, all Ferreira did was set a new women’s course record by carding a cool, two-under par 70.
The U.S. Women’s Open will not be the first national USGA event that Ferreira has played in. Back in 2011, she qualified for the U.S. Women’s Amateur at Rhode Island Country Club. In her first test on the USGA national stage, she finished in 119th place, after taking 156 (75-81) strokes over 36 holes.
During her freshman year at Notre Dame, Ferreira played in all 11 tournaments for the Irish, finishing with a 75.61 stroke average on the year.
Ferreira notched four top-25’s in 2013-14, finishing as high as eighth (tied) at the IU Fall Kickoff on the treacherous Purgatory course in Noblesville, Ind.
Oh, and did I mention she won the Pacific Northwest Jr. Girls’ Amateur Championship in 2012?
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Nominee
- M. Basketball. Coach Brey Press Conference - October 19, 2017
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Honor Seniors, Take On #15 Duke Friday
- W. Volleyball. Sunshine State Bound: The Irish Are Set To Play FSU And Miami This Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. Swimming & Diving Welcomes Georgia Tech on Friday
- W. Basketball. Irish Selected as ACC Preseason Favorites Once Again
- Football. Notre Dame-USC Preview: The Unrivaled Rivalry
- M. Lacrosse. NYC Networking Trip Up Next On Notre Dame Lacrosse Fall Experience
- M. Tennis. Irish Set To Compete At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Basketball. Trio to Represent Irish at ACC Media Day
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 📍 Florida @NDSoccer challenges two ACC foes in Florida on Thursday and Sunday. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-socce… 49 minutes ago
- 📸 @NDvolleyball 📸 @NDHockey 📸 @NDSoccer All three made this week's 5 Favorite Photos. Which was yours? #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-volle… 3 hours ago
- While you’re @NotreDame for @NDFootball vs. USC, we’ve got your weekend ✅ list. Here are the first 4️⃣ things to c… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
- Student-athletes are preparing for their careers with @NDlacrosse’s NYC networking trip on Thursday. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-lacro… 6 hours ago
- At @NotreDame, even professors teach a love for @NDFootball. Saturday is almost here. #GoIrish #BeatTrojans https://t.co/qQMqw0SdNs 7 hours ago