May 22, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
As school ends, many students find their way back to their hometown and either obtain employment for a few months or just “chill,” but for soon-to-be sophomore Jordan Ferreira, she will be teeing it up with the best in her sport at famed Pinehurst No. 2 for the 2014 U.S. Women’s Open in late June.
There have been tons of great memories made on the No. 2 course at Pinehurst, one of the more memorable in my eyes shines a spotlight on the late Payne Stewart as he dueled Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods in 1999.
Just the sixth player in Irish women’s golf history to qualify for the Open, Ferreira joins the likes of 2012 graduate Becca Huffer and teammate Ashley Armstrong.
On May 20th, Ferreira teed it up for sectional qualifying at Rainer Country Club in Seattle, Wash. With the course playing to par 72, she opened up the 36-hole format with a 77. Knowing she needed to come out firing on the final 18, all Ferreira did was set a new women’s course record by carding a cool, two-under par 70.
The U.S. Women’s Open will not be the first national USGA event that Ferreira has played in. Back in 2011, she qualified for the U.S. Women’s Amateur at Rhode Island Country Club. In her first test on the USGA national stage, she finished in 119th place, after taking 156 (75-81) strokes over 36 holes.
During her freshman year at Notre Dame, Ferreira played in all 11 tournaments for the Irish, finishing with a 75.61 stroke average on the year.
Ferreira notched four top-25’s in 2013-14, finishing as high as eighth (tied) at the IU Fall Kickoff on the treacherous Purgatory course in Noblesville, Ind.
Oh, and did I mention she won the Pacific Northwest Jr. Girls’ Amateur Championship in 2012?
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
- Baseball. Gilgenbach's Two-Homer Day Takes Series At No. 9 LSU
- M. Tennis. #22 Irish Drop 4-3 Heartbreaker To #20 Blue Devils
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Wrap Last Road Game with 89-55 Win at Boston College
- W. Lacrosse. No. 16 Notre Dame blows by Stetson, 21-7
- Softball. #RV Irish Go 3-1 Versus #14 Minny, #20 UM At B1G/ACC
- M. Golf. Men's Golf to Compete at Prestige at PGA West
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Women Finish 5th At ACC Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- #ICYMI, @NDBaseball earned the series win over No. 9 LSU in the ☝️st games of the year! Take a look back at how th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 26 minutes ago
- Notre Dame has a long, storied relationship with our United States Presidents and we are proud to honor them today.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- ✅ Most points by an Irish player in an ACC game ✅ Tie program record for made threes in a game ✅ Career high 37 poi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- A GRAND way to start the season! @NDBaseball beat No. 9 LSU to win the weekend series behind Eric Gilgenbach's ✌️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago
- #BigMonday is back! After @NDmbb beat Boston College on the road, the Irish return home to take on Monday at 7 p.m… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 15 hours ago