May 22, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
As school ends, many students find their way back to their hometown and either obtain employment for a few months or just “chill,” but for soon-to-be sophomore Jordan Ferreira, she will be teeing it up with the best in her sport at famed Pinehurst No. 2 for the 2014 U.S. Women’s Open in late June.
There have been tons of great memories made on the No. 2 course at Pinehurst, one of the more memorable in my eyes shines a spotlight on the late Payne Stewart as he dueled Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods in 1999.
Just the sixth player in Irish women’s golf history to qualify for the Open, Ferreira joins the likes of 2012 graduate Becca Huffer and teammate Ashley Armstrong.
On May 20th, Ferreira teed it up for sectional qualifying at Rainer Country Club in Seattle, Wash. With the course playing to par 72, she opened up the 36-hole format with a 77. Knowing she needed to come out firing on the final 18, all Ferreira did was set a new women’s course record by carding a cool, two-under par 70.
The U.S. Women’s Open will not be the first national USGA event that Ferreira has played in. Back in 2011, she qualified for the U.S. Women’s Amateur at Rhode Island Country Club. In her first test on the USGA national stage, she finished in 119th place, after taking 156 (75-81) strokes over 36 holes.
During her freshman year at Notre Dame, Ferreira played in all 11 tournaments for the Irish, finishing with a 75.61 stroke average on the year.
Ferreira notched four top-25’s in 2013-14, finishing as high as eighth (tied) at the IU Fall Kickoff on the treacherous Purgatory course in Noblesville, Ind.
Oh, and did I mention she won the Pacific Northwest Jr. Girls’ Amateur Championship in 2012?
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Fencing. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- W. Soccer. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Football. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 minutes ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago
- HALL OF FAME: One Step Away @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw is a finalist for Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. und.com/sports/w-baskb… 1 day ago
- ☘️ @NDHockey Goalie Cal Petersen: 🏒 Tied for 1st in NCAA Shutouts. 💯 @Hockey_East Defensive Player of the Week. und.com/sports/m-hocke… 2 days ago