May 22, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
As school ends, many students find their way back to their hometown and either obtain employment for a few months or just “chill,” but for soon-to-be sophomore Jordan Ferreira, she will be teeing it up with the best in her sport at famed Pinehurst No. 2 for the 2014 U.S. Women’s Open in late June.
There have been tons of great memories made on the No. 2 course at Pinehurst, one of the more memorable in my eyes shines a spotlight on the late Payne Stewart as he dueled Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods in 1999.
Just the sixth player in Irish women’s golf history to qualify for the Open, Ferreira joins the likes of 2012 graduate Becca Huffer and teammate Ashley Armstrong.
On May 20th, Ferreira teed it up for sectional qualifying at Rainer Country Club in Seattle, Wash. With the course playing to par 72, she opened up the 36-hole format with a 77. Knowing she needed to come out firing on the final 18, all Ferreira did was set a new women’s course record by carding a cool, two-under par 70.
The U.S. Women’s Open will not be the first national USGA event that Ferreira has played in. Back in 2011, she qualified for the U.S. Women’s Amateur at Rhode Island Country Club. In her first test on the USGA national stage, she finished in 119th place, after taking 156 (75-81) strokes over 36 holes.
During her freshman year at Notre Dame, Ferreira played in all 11 tournaments for the Irish, finishing with a 75.61 stroke average on the year.
Ferreira notched four top-25’s in 2013-14, finishing as high as eighth (tied) at the IU Fall Kickoff on the treacherous Purgatory course in Noblesville, Ind.
Oh, and did I mention she won the Pacific Northwest Jr. Girls’ Amateur Championship in 2012?
- Softball. Irish Strikeout Cancer With Arkansas
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato Named Tewaaraton Award Nominee
- Track. Irish Conclude Day One of Penn Relays
- Baseball. Irish & Blue Devils Play A Pair Friday
- W. Tennis. Irish Fall To Clemson In Second Round Of ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Irish Fall In 4-3 Heartbreaker To Louisville At ACC Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Rally Not Enough Against Eagles
- M. Soccer. Irish Take Pitch For Annual Clash With Mexico On Friday
- Baseball. Duke Visits For Pivotal League Series
- W. Soccer. Irish Slated To Face Off With Mexico In Annual Spring Finale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ @NDSoftball is on a mission to fight pediatric cancer. Coach Gumpf's daughter Tatum is a survivor. Hear Tatum's… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- That #FridayFeeling! ☀️ 15 Days Until Summer 🏈 120 Days Until College Football ☘ 127 Days Until Kickoff in ND Stad… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈 #TBT to 2016 Ronnie Stanley & Will Fuller became @NDFootball's 65th & 66th 1st round NFL draft picks (3rd all-ti… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 22 hours ago
- ☘ 300 CLUB Congrats, @NDWomensLax goalie Sam Giacolone on her 300th career save during ACC Championships. Sam is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ⚾️ IRISH BLANK EASTERN MICHIGAN Matt Vierling scored 2 runs and 3 RBI in @NDBaseball's 5-0 victory. 📽 Highlights https://t.co/evwnYZL6H3 1 day ago