May 27, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
A great week on the international stage for the Irish soccer program as the men’s squad continues its journey over in Africa for their “Service, Sightseeing & Soccer” trip abroad. On the national stage, an alum was named to the United States Men’s National Team for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and on the club level, there were some highlights from past Irish stars.
Let’s begin with the United State Men’s National Team. Last Thursday, Jurgen Klinsmann, the manager of the U.S. National Team, announced the final 23-man roster for the 2014 World Cup. The list is a “who’s who” of United States “futbol” and the squad included 2009 Notre Dame grad Matt Besler, the captain of Sporting KC.
Many believe that Besler has a spot in the “Starting XI” on lockdown for the World Cup after his brilliant play in the CONCACAF Gold Cup, World Cup Qualifying and International Friendlies. Take a few moments to watch what Notre Dame men’s soccer coach Bobby Clark had to say about Besler’s inclusion on the US Men’s National Team.
In the world of Major League Soccer, Dillon Powers is the man of the week for the Irish, netting two goals for the Colorado Rapids en route to a 4-1 win on Saturday night over fellow Irish alum Jeb Brovsky and the Montreal Impact.
Although he didn’t register anything in the offensive score line in this week’s game, Harrison Shipp made his presence felt on the pitch in the defensive third.
Justin Morrow continued his stellar play for Toronto FC, making yet another start at his left outside back position. He helped Toronto to a 2-2 draw against defending MLS Champion Sporting KC last Friday (May 23).
Aaron Maund did not see game action for Real Salt Lake, but was listed as a possible substitution for the contest. RSL would end up in a, 0-0, tie with FC Dallas.
- Football. Alan Page: ‘I still have work to do’
- Football. University of Notre Dame Football Media Conference
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Open Hockey East Play By Hosting Huskies
- M. Golf. Irish Competing in Final Fall Event
- Swimming & Diving. Irish Swimming & Diving Programs Ranked Among Top 15 Nationally
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish Meet #20 MSU In Final ’16 Nonconference Match
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Play At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Basketball. Allen Named to Nancy Lieberman Award Watch List
- W. Tennis. Robinson, Broda Advance To Doubles Final At ITA Regional
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Pairs Fall In ITA Midwest Regional Championship Semifinals
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 📆 Mark your calendar! Thursday is @NDSoccer Senior Night. #12 ND vs. Miami 7pm | Alumni Stadium TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 5 hours ago
- 🎙Tune in to the Brian Kelly press conference. Hear Coach Kelly preview Saturday's game vs. Miami. WATCH:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 8 hours ago
- 50 years ago Ara Parseghian led ND to a national title. Relive the '66 title run in Onward Notre Dame. FULL VIDEO… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: In 4 years at Notre Dame @NDXCTF's Molly Seidel won 4 @NCAA titles. She's not done. Hear Molly's story going into her… 1 day ago
- ☘️ND Moves to 9-1 in ACC Play @NDVolleyball continues to improve its best ACC record w/ 3-0 win vs Virginia Tech.… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 2 days ago