Jun 2, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
As the competitive collegiate season winds down for Fighting Irish squads, NCAA honors and appearances were claimed by student-athletes. The track and field teams punched tickets to the NCAA Championships with performances this weekend and the rowing squad tied its best finish ever at the NCAA Championships.
In alumni news, former Notre Dame men’s soccer student-athlete Dillon Powers continued his stellar play this season for the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer. In a 3-0 win over the Houston Dynamo, Powers tallied two assists and could have easily had one more if it weren’t for a goal line stop from a Dynamo defender. Check out the clips below of both of his assists.
Now what did we miss …
1. Irish Row To Ninth-Place Finish (NCAA.com)
The Notre Dame rowing team tied their best finish ever at the NCAA Championships last weekend as they stopping the clock in the ninth position.. Click the link above to read more.
2. One Last Roadblock (Irish Eyes)
A few decades after leaving the University, Jerome Bettis is still working on getting his diploma from Notre Dame. Click the link above to read more.
3. Pollock’s All-Star Bid Beaned By Ball (Sporting News)
Former Notre Dame baseball student-athlete A.J. Pollock was on a tear of late, batting over .300 on the season and .365 over the last 14 days. Unfortunately, Pollock was injured in a game this weekend and will be out for some time with a fractured bone in his hand. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Summer Sanders (@SummerSanders_) June 2, 2014
Congrats to Evan Sharpley and the rest of the Notre Dame Football alumni group who swam, biked and ran the Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon this past weekend in memory of former teammate Asaph “Ace” Schwapp.
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
As Matt Besler (’09) gets ready for the World Cup with the United States Men’s National Team, a local affiliate in Kansas City is documenting his past.
Did You Know?
If Matt Besler steps on the pitch for the 2014 World Cup, he will become the first Notre Dame men’s soccer alum to play in the World Cup for the United States.
- M. Ice Hockey. Quest for the Stanley Cup Continues for Rust and Cole
- W. Soccer. Markgraf To Be First Woman To Call Top Men's Soccer Tournament On U.S. Television
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Advance To Round of 16 At NCAA Doubles Championship
- M. Basketball. Coach Brey May 25, 2016 Media Session
- W. Tennis. Gleason's Comeback Bid Falls Short In NCAA Singles First Round
- Baseball. Summer Ball Provides Key Development Opportunities For Players
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Advances To Round of 32 At NCAA Singles Championship
- W. Basketball. Irish, Hawkeyes To Meet In ACC-B1G Challenge
- M. Basketball. Ingelsby Accepts Delaware Head Coach Position
- W. Volleyball. Irish Volleyball Adds Klein & Truett To 2016 Roster
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🍀 Alex Lawson & Quentin Monaghan Seniors All-Americans NCAA Tourney Quarterfinalists READ: und.com/sports/m-tenni… https://t.co/5A7qv1RozL 2 hours ago
- #StanleyCup: 1 Series Away ND's Ian Cole & Bryan Rust advance to the Final w/ @penguins ➡️ und.com/sports/m-hocke… https://t.co/fZXwL47E35 5 hours ago
- He sent the @penguins to #StanleyCup Final, but Bryan Rust STARTED at ND 2011: ND vs BC Rust ends OT in final sec. amp.twimg.com/v/79c1d4ff-3c3… 11 hours ago
- When you lead your team to #StanleyCup Final ND's Bryan Rust scored BOTH goals in @penguins 2-1 win vs Tampa Bay https://t.co/9WUCM0TLpl 13 hours ago
- 🎾 NCAA Doubles Championship Round 32:✔️ A. Lawson & Q. Monaghan advance to Round 16! READ: und.com/sports/m-tenni… https://t.co/N7X8u9MMw1 1 day ago