Jun 2, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
As the competitive collegiate season winds down for Fighting Irish squads, NCAA honors and appearances were claimed by student-athletes. The track and field teams punched tickets to the NCAA Championships with performances this weekend and the rowing squad tied its best finish ever at the NCAA Championships.
In alumni news, former Notre Dame men’s soccer student-athlete Dillon Powers continued his stellar play this season for the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer. In a 3-0 win over the Houston Dynamo, Powers tallied two assists and could have easily had one more if it weren’t for a goal line stop from a Dynamo defender. Check out the clips below of both of his assists.
Now what did we miss …
1. Irish Row To Ninth-Place Finish (NCAA.com)
The Notre Dame rowing team tied their best finish ever at the NCAA Championships last weekend as they stopping the clock in the ninth position.. Click the link above to read more.
2. One Last Roadblock (Irish Eyes)
A few decades after leaving the University, Jerome Bettis is still working on getting his diploma from Notre Dame. Click the link above to read more.
3. Pollock’s All-Star Bid Beaned By Ball (Sporting News)
Former Notre Dame baseball student-athlete A.J. Pollock was on a tear of late, batting over .300 on the season and .365 over the last 14 days. Unfortunately, Pollock was injured in a game this weekend and will be out for some time with a fractured bone in his hand. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Summer Sanders (@SummerSanders_) June 2, 2014
Congrats to Evan Sharpley and the rest of the Notre Dame Football alumni group who swam, biked and ran the Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon this past weekend in memory of former teammate Asaph “Ace” Schwapp.
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
As Matt Besler (’09) gets ready for the World Cup with the United States Men’s National Team, a local affiliate in Kansas City is documenting his past.
Did You Know?
If Matt Besler steps on the pitch for the 2014 World Cup, he will become the first Notre Dame men’s soccer alum to play in the World Cup for the United States.
- W. Basketball. Loyd Takes WNBAâ€™s Top Rookie Prize in July
- W. Soccer. Irish Among Early Top 10
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club To Host Riehle Open On The Road At Stanford
- W. Lacrosse. Ortega Named All-World; Team USA Claims Silver
- W. Lacrosse. Incoming Freshmen Play for World Championship on Sat.
- W. Swimming. Irish Stars Thrive On International Swimming Stage
- W. Golf. Cool, Confident Hamilton Matures in Wyndham Cup Debut
- W. Volleyball. How To Watch Irish Volleyball Matches In 2015
- W. Soccer. Irish, ACC Release Expanded Broadcast Schedule
- M. Golf. Irish Earn A 2015 GCAA Team Academic Award
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- An @MLB All-Star, making a Gold Glove caliber catch for the @Dbacks. Keep doing you, AJ Pollock (fmr @NDBaseball OF) http://t.co/9XYb91UjdK 6 hours ago
- ⚾️@MLB managers & ND staples Pat Murphy & Craig Counsell face off tonight in Game 2 @NDFIM chatted with them pregame http://t.co/bbyTTJ68hg 9 hours ago
- THEY CAN'T HOLD YOU. THEY CAN'T STOP YOU. Welcome to the @UAFootball #ARMOURGRID Era. @NDFootball's 2015 Look: http://t.co/g6tLMjDJsW 1 day ago
- #BACK2BACK 🏀@NDwbb student-athlete named @WNBA Rookie of the Month For 2nd-straight month. June:Achonwa July:Loyd http://t.co/tB6CwWmT58 1 day ago
- 3 of the top 5 come from @theACC as @NDMenSoccer checks in at #4. Do you have your tix? BUY: UND.com/BuyTickets http://t.co/25gFuR9VwX 1 day ago