Jun 2, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
As the competitive collegiate season winds down for Fighting Irish squads, NCAA honors and appearances were claimed by student-athletes. The track and field teams punched tickets to the NCAA Championships with performances this weekend and the rowing squad tied its best finish ever at the NCAA Championships.
In alumni news, former Notre Dame men’s soccer student-athlete Dillon Powers continued his stellar play this season for the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer. In a 3-0 win over the Houston Dynamo, Powers tallied two assists and could have easily had one more if it weren’t for a goal line stop from a Dynamo defender. Check out the clips below of both of his assists.
Now what did we miss …
1. Irish Row To Ninth-Place Finish (NCAA.com)
The Notre Dame rowing team tied their best finish ever at the NCAA Championships last weekend as they stopping the clock in the ninth position.. Click the link above to read more.
2. One Last Roadblock (Irish Eyes)
A few decades after leaving the University, Jerome Bettis is still working on getting his diploma from Notre Dame. Click the link above to read more.
3. Pollock’s All-Star Bid Beaned By Ball (Sporting News)
Former Notre Dame baseball student-athlete A.J. Pollock was on a tear of late, batting over .300 on the season and .365 over the last 14 days. Unfortunately, Pollock was injured in a game this weekend and will be out for some time with a fractured bone in his hand. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Summer Sanders (@SummerSanders_) June 2, 2014
Congrats to Evan Sharpley and the rest of the Notre Dame Football alumni group who swam, biked and ran the Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon this past weekend in memory of former teammate Asaph “Ace” Schwapp.
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
As Matt Besler (’09) gets ready for the World Cup with the United States Men’s National Team, a local affiliate in Kansas City is documenting his past.
Did You Know?
If Matt Besler steps on the pitch for the 2014 World Cup, he will become the first Notre Dame men’s soccer alum to play in the World Cup for the United States.
- Softball. Irish Strikeout Cancer With Arkansas
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato Named Tewaaraton Award Nominee
- Track. Irish Conclude Day One of Penn Relays
- Baseball. Irish & Blue Devils Play A Pair Friday
- W. Tennis. Irish Fall To Clemson In Second Round Of ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Irish Fall In 4-3 Heartbreaker To Louisville At ACC Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Rally Not Enough Against Eagles
- M. Soccer. Irish Take Pitch For Annual Clash With Mexico On Friday
- Baseball. Duke Visits For Pivotal League Series
- W. Soccer. Irish Slated To Face Off With Mexico In Annual Spring Finale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- That #FridayFeeling! ☀️ 15 Days Until Summer 🏈 120 Days Until College Football ☘ 127 Days Until Kickoff in ND Stad… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 58 minutes ago
- 🏈 #TBT to 2016 Ronnie Stanley & Will Fuller became @NDFootball's 65th & 66th 1st round NFL draft picks (3rd all-ti… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 18 hours ago
- ☘ 300 CLUB Congrats, @NDWomensLax goalie Sam Giacolone on her 300th career save during ACC Championships. Sam is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 23 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH BLANK EASTERN MICHIGAN Matt Vierling scored 2 runs and 3 RBI in @NDBaseball's 5-0 victory. 📽 Highlights https://t.co/evwnYZL6H3 1 day ago
- On Sunday @JoshHagar & Eddy Covalschi beat the #1 NCAA doubles team. Thurs. they take on ACC Championship 2nd Roun… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago