Jun 2, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
As the competitive collegiate season winds down for Fighting Irish squads, NCAA honors and appearances were claimed by student-athletes. The track and field teams punched tickets to the NCAA Championships with performances this weekend and the rowing squad tied its best finish ever at the NCAA Championships.
In alumni news, former Notre Dame men’s soccer student-athlete Dillon Powers continued his stellar play this season for the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer. In a 3-0 win over the Houston Dynamo, Powers tallied two assists and could have easily had one more if it weren’t for a goal line stop from a Dynamo defender. Check out the clips below of both of his assists.
Now what did we miss …
1. Irish Row To Ninth-Place Finish (NCAA.com)
The Notre Dame rowing team tied their best finish ever at the NCAA Championships last weekend as they stopping the clock in the ninth position.. Click the link above to read more.
2. One Last Roadblock (Irish Eyes)
A few decades after leaving the University, Jerome Bettis is still working on getting his diploma from Notre Dame. Click the link above to read more.
3. Pollock’s All-Star Bid Beaned By Ball (Sporting News)
Former Notre Dame baseball student-athlete A.J. Pollock was on a tear of late, batting over .300 on the season and .365 over the last 14 days. Unfortunately, Pollock was injured in a game this weekend and will be out for some time with a fractured bone in his hand. Click the link above to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
— Summer Sanders (@SummerSanders_) June 2, 2014
Congrats to Evan Sharpley and the rest of the Notre Dame Football alumni group who swam, biked and ran the Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon this past weekend in memory of former teammate Asaph “Ace” Schwapp.
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
As Matt Besler (’09) gets ready for the World Cup with the United States Men’s National Team, a local affiliate in Kansas City is documenting his past.
Did You Know?
If Matt Besler steps on the pitch for the 2014 World Cup, he will become the first Notre Dame men’s soccer alum to play in the World Cup for the United States.
- M. Ice Hockey. Gross Leads #3/4 Irish To Comeback Tie
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for Fighting Irish in Day 1 of Dual Meet Against No. 22 Georgia Tech
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish End Road Trip With 2-1 Defeat In Double Overtime At Duke
- M. Tennis. Irish Impress In First Rounds Of ITA Regional Play
- W. Volleyball. Irish Sweep Pitt in Strong Performance on the Road
- W. Tennis. Irish Stand Tall At ITA And IU Regionals
- Swimming & Diving. No. 14 Ranked Notre Dame Swimming & Diving In Atlanta for First ACC Meet to Face Georgia Tech
- Football. University of Notre Dame 2016 Shamrock Series
- W. Soccer. Double Overtime Not Enough To Break Scoreless Tie Between #14 Irish, #25 Hokies
- M. Tennis. Kempin Advances To Final Qualifying Round At ITA Regional
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ To compete with the best you need the best equipment. See ND's cutting edge weight room with @NDFootball. https://t.co/0rbg5Ap7SH 12 hours ago
- With @NDXCTF 4x NCAA champ Molly Seidel has logged 14,000+ miles. Equivalent to running from ND ➡️Taj Mahal & back. https://t.co/gW23X2MBqW 16 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 📆 THIS WEEKEND @NDHockey takes on Penn State at home in Compton Family Ice Arena. Fri. | 7:35pm Sat. | 7:05pm TIX:htt… 22 hours ago
- 🏀 Great Team With Great Leaders @ndwbb captain Lindsay Allen catches up with the @NDSportsBlogger at the start of… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- 📆 THIS WEEKEND @NDHockey takes on Penn State at home in Compton Family Ice Arena. Fri. | 7:35pm Sat. | 7:05pm TI… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago