Jun 3, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Another weekend of great play from Notre Dame men’s soccer alums in the professional and International ranks is behind us. We can’t forget about our boy, Matt Besler on the United States Men’s National Team on his play preceding the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Before we get underway, take a minute to vote for the four alums on the MLS All-Star Game ballot – Matt Besler, Justin Morrow, Dillon Powers & Harrison Shipp. Click here to VOTE.
On the U.S. Men’s National Team, Matt Besler continues to take his spot at left center back for each of the squad’s matches leading up to the World Cup in Brazil. Besler was subbed out in the 46th minute of Sunday’s match against Turkey with the clean sheet still intact for America. The U.S. went on to win 2-1 with one more match before the squad boards the plane for Brazil. The first match of the World Cup for the U.S. is on Monday, June 16th against Ghana.
A local Fox affiliate in Besler’s hometown of Kansas City continues its look into his journey to the World Cup. (FYI – Matt’s little brother, Nick, is a starting midfielder on the Irish men’s soccer team. Matt’s wedding took place the day before Nick and the Irish won the University’s first men’s NCAA title.
Powers, the reigning MLS rookie of the year, is continuing his assault on defenses in the MLS. In the Colorado Rapids 3-0 victory this past weekend, Powers accounted for two assists, but should have had another as one of his nifty chips found a wide open Rapids forward in the middle of the box, but he couldn’t find the back of the wide open net.
Morrow and Toronto FC battled to a 3-2 win over the Columbus Crew last weekend. Stationed at his left outside back position, Morrow helped push the offensive attack down the left flank all match, leading to a series of goals for Toronto.
The Chicago Fire struck first against the star-studded LA Galaxy squad, before finishing the match in a draw, 1-1. Shipp, may not have tallied a mark on the box score, but his stellar passing and through balls helped set up the lone Fire goal on the night on a Penalty Kick.
Finley checked took the field for Chivas USA in the 68th-minute of last weekend’s contest against the Philadelphia Union. This marked a string of three-straight matches in which Finley has seen game action.
Check back next week for the next edition of #IrishInTheMLS
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Patberg Found Promise In USA Debut
- M. Soccer. Hodan Tabbed To U.S. U-23 MNT ID Camp Roster
- Fencing. Kiefer, Meinhardt Provide Summer Highlights
- Softball. Top Instruction At Softball Academies
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Basketball Is Truly A Family Affair
- W. Basketball. Patberg's Golden Dream Realized, USA Claims U19 World Title
- W. Golf. Irish Continue Successful Summer on Links
- M. Soccer. Talent, Experience Hallmarks Of Soccer Captains
- General News. Hofman, McBride Exemplify Dedication at Notre Dame
- W. Lacrosse. Three Irish Signees Compete at World U-19 Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🇺🇸WEARING THE RED, WHITE & BLUE ⚽️Patrick Hodan (@NDMenSoccer) invited to @USSoccer U-23 College Training Camp. http://t.co/Q6DO5S4bXc 4 hours ago
- RT @SportingKC: "What's good for the goose is good for the gander." twitter.com/fightingirish/… 21 hours ago
- 🍀 ND ROUNDUP: ⭐️:K. McBride Stars as WNBA All-Star 🏀:A. Patberg wins U19 World Title ⚾️:ND Dad goes in Baseball HOF http://t.co/qv6SwHQ3Nt 22 hours ago
- What happens when 2 @NDHockey student-athletes grab their 🎣 poles & go to the lakes? FIND OUT: fightingirish.tumblr.com/post/125181300… http://t.co/20fNNZYGS4 1 day ago
- What is your Team Chaplain doing this Summer? twitter.com/ndmbb/status/6… 1 day ago