Jun 7, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
Friday, June 6, 2014
Notre Dame’s final day in Rome began with a bus ride through heavy traffic to the Vatican Museums that draw some 40,000 visitors per day. The Irish lacrosse squad spent about two hours winding its way through the galleries with two guides supplying commentary via individual radio systems. The tour ended in the Sistine Chapel.
From there, in the early afternoon the group walked through the winding streets surrounding the Vatican to St. Peter’s Square and took a team photo among lots of other image opportunities. St. Peter’s Basilica and Square had been closed in the morning due to ceremonies featuring Pope Francis and honoring the bicentennial of the founding of the Carabinieri, the Italian national military police force. The Pope accepted one of the traditional Carabinieri red berets from someone in the crowd of 50,000 police.
There were four to five hours of free time remaining, so the Irish wandered Rome on their own for lunch and the remainder of the afternoon. Those who wanted to take advantage of a bus ride back to the hotel met at 6:30 p.m. at the Piazza del Popolo that was preparing for an evening musical concert noting the Carabinieri anniversary.
The Irish also had dinner on their own their last night in Italy, with a 6 a.m. Saturday departure for the trip to home. A handful of the Notre Dame players, coaches and staff remained in Italy for a few extra days or headed out to other European destinations.
The next time you are near Piazza Navona, stop in an alleyway northwest of the square, check out Osteria dell’ Anima and try the pasta with pears and carrot sauce.
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Fencing. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- W. Soccer. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Football. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 minutes ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago
- HALL OF FAME: One Step Away @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw is a finalist for Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. und.com/sports/w-baskb… 1 day ago
- ☘️ @NDHockey Goalie Cal Petersen: 🏒 Tied for 1st in NCAA Shutouts. 💯 @Hockey_East Defensive Player of the Week. und.com/sports/m-hocke… 2 days ago