Jun 9, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
A few former Notre Dame student-athletes (and some current ones) were in the news this weekend for their play both in the professional ranks and it tournaments around the globe.
Let’s first begin with the women’s basketball squad tallying yet another gold medal to their count. Rising junior Jewell Loyd is returning from overseas with a FIBA 3 on 3 Championship. Loyd and her squad ran through the tournament to bring home the gold.
Additionally, the men’s soccer alums lit it up on the pitch. Harrison Shipp added two more goals to his account for the Chicago Fire, while Dillon Powers sent an in-swinger into the box off a corner kick that was headed into the back of the net for a Colorado Rapids tally.
Now what did we miss …
1. Irish To TBT Championship Game (South Bend Tribune)
A group of former Notre Dame men’s basketball student-athletes came back together for the first time since they played for the Irish to fight for a $500,000 prize, $100,000 of which they have earmarked for charity if they win. Click here to read more.
— Notre Dame MBB (@NDmbb) June 8, 2014
2. Besler Relishes World Cup Opportunity (The Guardian)
We are just days away from the beginning of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and Irish men’s soccer alum Matt Besler is primed to be among the Starting XI for the United States when the Cup begins this week. To read more, click here.
3. Expect To See More Theo (NFL.com)
Theo Riddick, a former Notre Dame running back, is beginning to thrive after his first season in the NFL with the Detroit Lions. Many Lions players and staff members are high on Riddick as he enters his second year in Detroit. Click here to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
Hey! That’s Matt Besler!
— U.S. Soccer (@ussoccer) June 9, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Notre Dame baseball and men’s basketball student-athlete Pat Connaughton was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 4th round of the 2014 MLB Draft last Friday. Watch the video above to see how Pat reacted to hearing the news.
Did You Know?
Of the head D-1 men’s basketball coaches in Indiana, Mike Brey is the longest tenured at his current school, entering his 15th year at Notre Dame. The next closest, Matt Painter, is entering his 10th season in West Lafayette.
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Lacrosse Spring Break: Adjustments on the Fly
- Softball. Changes To Irish-Virginia Tech Softball Series Announced
- Football. Brandon Wimbush: His Chance Now
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Honored As A Richter Award Finalist
- W. Basketball. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Battle Buckeyes
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Virginia Tech
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: NC State & Miami
- Softball. Irish Freshmen Rule The Field At Melissa Cook Vs. Michigan St.
- W. Soccer. Spring Opener With Purdue Moved Up To Friday
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Eyes up. Stay tough. @NDFootball is focused at every practice. https://t.co/ehgGUFJiQJ 1 hour ago
- ☘ Winning With Style! Michigan State goes down as @NDSoftball walks-off in home opener. ND 11 | MSU 3 https://t.co/vgKqj4gWpR 19 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH vs. BUCKEYES Watch #2 @NDlacrosse take on #4 Ohio State at home. Saturday | 2pm TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago
- 💯 Fresh Jerseys ☀️ Bright Sky ☘ It's Game Day! @NDSoftball kicks off its home opener. ND vs. MSU | 4:30pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ⚾️ IRISH WIN HOME OPENER @NDBaseball recorded two 5-run innings in its 12-1 win over Northern Illinois. 📽 Highlig… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago