Jun 9, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
A few former Notre Dame student-athletes (and some current ones) were in the news this weekend for their play both in the professional ranks and it tournaments around the globe.
Let’s first begin with the women’s basketball squad tallying yet another gold medal to their count. Rising junior Jewell Loyd is returning from overseas with a FIBA 3 on 3 Championship. Loyd and her squad ran through the tournament to bring home the gold.
Additionally, the men’s soccer alums lit it up on the pitch. Harrison Shipp added two more goals to his account for the Chicago Fire, while Dillon Powers sent an in-swinger into the box off a corner kick that was headed into the back of the net for a Colorado Rapids tally.
Now what did we miss …
1. Irish To TBT Championship Game (South Bend Tribune)
A group of former Notre Dame men’s basketball student-athletes came back together for the first time since they played for the Irish to fight for a $500,000 prize, $100,000 of which they have earmarked for charity if they win. Click here to read more.
— Notre Dame MBB (@NDmbb) June 8, 2014
2. Besler Relishes World Cup Opportunity (The Guardian)
We are just days away from the beginning of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and Irish men’s soccer alum Matt Besler is primed to be among the Starting XI for the United States when the Cup begins this week. To read more, click here.
3. Expect To See More Theo (NFL.com)
Theo Riddick, a former Notre Dame running back, is beginning to thrive after his first season in the NFL with the Detroit Lions. Many Lions players and staff members are high on Riddick as he enters his second year in Detroit. Click here to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
Hey! That’s Matt Besler!
— U.S. Soccer (@ussoccer) June 9, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Notre Dame baseball and men’s basketball student-athlete Pat Connaughton was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 4th round of the 2014 MLB Draft last Friday. Watch the video above to see how Pat reacted to hearing the news.
Did You Know?
Of the head D-1 men’s basketball coaches in Indiana, Mike Brey is the longest tenured at his current school, entering his 15th year at Notre Dame. The next closest, Matt Painter, is entering his 10th season in West Lafayette.
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- We know who we're voting for! 👇 👀 @NDmbb #GoIrish twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 34 minutes ago
- ☘️ @NDFootball's Nic Weishar has been nominated for the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team. Meet Nic and his family as… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 13 hours ago
- Those #NDFamily vibes are strong! 💪 You heard @NDFootball! Vote @ndwbb for Best Play at the @ESPYS! VOTE 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 16 hours ago
- What year did @NDFootball squad travel to Baltimore for its first game against the @NavyFB? #TriviaTuesday #GoIrish 18 hours ago
- On #WorldEmojiDay, tell us about your Irish fandom in emojis! ☘️💚 #GoIrish https://t.co/OZM5gWXex4 21 hours ago