Jun 9, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
A few former Notre Dame student-athletes (and some current ones) were in the news this weekend for their play both in the professional ranks and it tournaments around the globe.
Let’s first begin with the women’s basketball squad tallying yet another gold medal to their count. Rising junior Jewell Loyd is returning from overseas with a FIBA 3 on 3 Championship. Loyd and her squad ran through the tournament to bring home the gold.
Additionally, the men’s soccer alums lit it up on the pitch. Harrison Shipp added two more goals to his account for the Chicago Fire, while Dillon Powers sent an in-swinger into the box off a corner kick that was headed into the back of the net for a Colorado Rapids tally.
Now what did we miss …
1. Irish To TBT Championship Game (South Bend Tribune)
A group of former Notre Dame men’s basketball student-athletes came back together for the first time since they played for the Irish to fight for a $500,000 prize, $100,000 of which they have earmarked for charity if they win. Click here to read more.
— Notre Dame MBB (@NDmbb) June 8, 2014
2. Besler Relishes World Cup Opportunity (The Guardian)
We are just days away from the beginning of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and Irish men’s soccer alum Matt Besler is primed to be among the Starting XI for the United States when the Cup begins this week. To read more, click here.
3. Expect To See More Theo (NFL.com)
Theo Riddick, a former Notre Dame running back, is beginning to thrive after his first season in the NFL with the Detroit Lions. Many Lions players and staff members are high on Riddick as he enters his second year in Detroit. Click here to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
Hey! That’s Matt Besler!
— U.S. Soccer (@ussoccer) June 9, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Notre Dame baseball and men’s basketball student-athlete Pat Connaughton was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 4th round of the 2014 MLB Draft last Friday. Watch the video above to see how Pat reacted to hearing the news.
Did You Know?
Of the head D-1 men’s basketball coaches in Indiana, Mike Brey is the longest tenured at his current school, entering his 15th year at Notre Dame. The next closest, Matt Painter, is entering his 10th season in West Lafayette.
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Robinson Way More Than Meets the Eye
- Softball. Irish Rally For Split With #24 Arkansas
- Football. Isaac Rochell Selected By The Los Angeles Chargers
- Track. Richartz Takes First At Penn Relays Finale
- W. Rowing. Irish Finish Second In Abbreviated Dale England Cup
- Baseball. Vierling Walks-Off Duke To Take Series
- M. Lacrosse. Irish and Tar Heels Square Off For ACC Championship Crown
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: #6 Irish Holds Off #4 Duke
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Down Duke To Earn Spot In Sunday's ACC Championship Title Game
- M. Soccer. Irish Play Before Capacity Crowd In Mexico Doubleheader
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈Living the NFL Dream! Congrats, @NDFootball captain Isaac Rochell on being the @Chargers 225th overall pick. 👀… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 10 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH TAKE SERIES FROM DUKE! Matt Vierling's walk-off triple gives @NDBaseball a 3-2 victory over the Blue Devi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ IRISH ROCKET TO ACC TITLE GAME! @NDlacrosse returns to @ACCMLax Championship with 7-6 win over Duke. NEXT: ND vs. UN… 18 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH ROCKET TO ACC TITLE GAME! @NDlacrosse returns to @ACCMLax Championship with 7-6 win over Duke. NEXT: ND v… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏈 KIZER TO THE BROWNS! With the 52nd overall pick, Cleveland @Browns select @NDFootball QB DeShone Kizer.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago