Jun 9, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
A few former Notre Dame student-athletes (and some current ones) were in the news this weekend for their play both in the professional ranks and it tournaments around the globe.
Let’s first begin with the women’s basketball squad tallying yet another gold medal to their count. Rising junior Jewell Loyd is returning from overseas with a FIBA 3 on 3 Championship. Loyd and her squad ran through the tournament to bring home the gold.
Additionally, the men’s soccer alums lit it up on the pitch. Harrison Shipp added two more goals to his account for the Chicago Fire, while Dillon Powers sent an in-swinger into the box off a corner kick that was headed into the back of the net for a Colorado Rapids tally.
Now what did we miss …
1. Irish To TBT Championship Game (South Bend Tribune)
A group of former Notre Dame men’s basketball student-athletes came back together for the first time since they played for the Irish to fight for a $500,000 prize, $100,000 of which they have earmarked for charity if they win. Click here to read more.
— Notre Dame MBB (@NDmbb) June 8, 2014
2. Besler Relishes World Cup Opportunity (The Guardian)
We are just days away from the beginning of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and Irish men’s soccer alum Matt Besler is primed to be among the Starting XI for the United States when the Cup begins this week. To read more, click here.
3. Expect To See More Theo (NFL.com)
Theo Riddick, a former Notre Dame running back, is beginning to thrive after his first season in the NFL with the Detroit Lions. Many Lions players and staff members are high on Riddick as he enters his second year in Detroit. Click here to read more.
Tweet Of The Day
Hey! That’s Matt Besler!
— U.S. Soccer (@ussoccer) June 9, 2014
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Notre Dame baseball and men’s basketball student-athlete Pat Connaughton was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 4th round of the 2014 MLB Draft last Friday. Watch the video above to see how Pat reacted to hearing the news.
Did You Know?
Of the head D-1 men’s basketball coaches in Indiana, Mike Brey is the longest tenured at his current school, entering his 15th year at Notre Dame. The next closest, Matt Painter, is entering his 10th season in West Lafayette.
- Cross Country. Cross Country Tabs Four Captains for 2017 Season
- W. Soccer. What to Watch: Butler vs. Notre Dame
- M. Basketball. Irish Legend Tom Hawkins Passes Away
- W. Soccer. Irish Add Casper to Women’s Soccer Staff
- Bigger Than Brick. Premium Seating Added To Football Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Visitors Tunnel and Locker Room
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Claims ITA National Summer Championship
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Brings Home Four Nations Tournament Title
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Server Room
- W. Soccer. ACC Network Extra to Broadcast 13 Matches
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- *impatiently waiting* twitter.com/ndfootball/sta… 10 hours ago
- ☘ For Season Ticket Holders A limited number of passes to the new South Club on game day are available. TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- 🏈 Another Look at the South Club Season @NDFootball ticket holders have the chance to purchase a South Club member… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- ☘ First Look at the South Club! South Club at ND Stadium is an added premium experience for ticket holders on game… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 17 hours ago
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 16 Days Last year, @NDFootball's #16 & @NDBaseball outfielder Torii Hunter Jr. was drafted… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago