Jun 10, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Not only has a former Notre Dame men’s soccer student-athlete landed on the ground in Brazil for the 2014 FIFA World Cup, but a few other alums are making their presence felt in the MLS.
After a storied career at Notre Dame, 2009 graduate Matt Besler was drafted by the Kansas City Wizards (now Sporting KC) of the MLS and now is a member of the United States Men’s National Team. Over the weekend, the USMNT landed in Brazil for the 2014 World Cup and will begin play next Monday.
In MLS news, two alums of Notre Dame added to their accounts this weekend.
The frontrunner for the MLS Rookie of the Year award, Harrison Shipp has put even more room between him and the others after his two-goal performance for the Chicago Fire last weekend.
After a two-assist performance the week prior, Powers continued his helping ways by bending an in-swinger into the box onto the head of a Rapids midfielder who nestled the ball in the back of the net.
Morrow checked into last week’s contest with the San Jose Earthquake with his Toronto FC club up 1-0 in the 81st minute. Morrow helped shut the door on the Earthquake and secure three points for Toronto.
- M. Golf. Alum Mark Baldwin Excels at Web.com Tour Qualifying
- M. Basketball. Replay: No Ho-Hum Homecoming for Brey
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Remain Perfect In B1G Play With 6-2 Win Over #12 Wisconsin
- M. Basketball. Offensive Onslaught Propels Irish To 92-68 Win At Delaware
- W. Basketball. No. 3/2 Irish Outlast Penn, 66-54
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Comeback To Defeat #12 Wisconsin 3-2 For 12th Straight Win
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named Monogram Club Most Valuable Player
- W. Basketball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- Track & Field. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- Monogram Club. Roger Valdiserri ('54, Honorary) To Receive Jesse Harper Award
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ ACC-best 7️⃣th game with 20-plus points ✅ 10th straight game of double-figure points ✅ 13 fourth-quarter points… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 41 minutes ago
- Every snap, they shared a fist bump. Now, @NDFootball offensive linemen Quenton Nelson and Mike McGlinchey share F… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- No. 3️⃣ @ndwbb has the most road wins in the nation. 🇺🇸 On Saturday at Penn, the Irish proved why. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-baskb… 14 hours ago
- In a sea of blue, the Irish green always stands out. Go behind-the-scenes of No. 9️⃣ @NDmbb's win at Delaware on S… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 16 hours ago
- "We were in attack mode." Arike Ogunbowale's 13 fourth-quarter points helped No. 3️⃣ @ndwbb put away Penn.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 17 hours ago