Jun 10, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Not only has a former Notre Dame men’s soccer student-athlete landed on the ground in Brazil for the 2014 FIFA World Cup, but a few other alums are making their presence felt in the MLS.
After a storied career at Notre Dame, 2009 graduate Matt Besler was drafted by the Kansas City Wizards (now Sporting KC) of the MLS and now is a member of the United States Men’s National Team. Over the weekend, the USMNT landed in Brazil for the 2014 World Cup and will begin play next Monday.
In MLS news, two alums of Notre Dame added to their accounts this weekend.
The frontrunner for the MLS Rookie of the Year award, Harrison Shipp has put even more room between him and the others after his two-goal performance for the Chicago Fire last weekend.
After a two-assist performance the week prior, Powers continued his helping ways by bending an in-swinger into the box onto the head of a Rapids midfielder who nestled the ball in the back of the net.
Morrow checked into last week’s contest with the San Jose Earthquake with his Toronto FC club up 1-0 in the 81st minute. Morrow helped shut the door on the Earthquake and secure three points for Toronto.
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- A life taken too soon, a student-athlete and friend with so much to give. Tonight, we are lifting our prayers to t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 8 hours ago
- Enjoy the process. @NDFootball kicker Justin Yoon has learned to take whatever comes his way with a smile.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 8 hours ago
- 3️⃣0️⃣ years, countless memories. @NDSoccer celebrated the start of the program's 30th season by taking a look bac… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 9 hours ago
- The ☝️st @NDFootball road 🛣 trip is on deck! The No. 8 Irish head to Wake Forest to battle the Demon Deacons, Satu… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago
- 2️⃣0️⃣ former @NDHockey players are headed to @NHL training camps this fall. Find out where your favorite Irish ☘️… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 12 hours ago