Jun 10, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Not only has a former Notre Dame men’s soccer student-athlete landed on the ground in Brazil for the 2014 FIFA World Cup, but a few other alums are making their presence felt in the MLS.
After a storied career at Notre Dame, 2009 graduate Matt Besler was drafted by the Kansas City Wizards (now Sporting KC) of the MLS and now is a member of the United States Men’s National Team. Over the weekend, the USMNT landed in Brazil for the 2014 World Cup and will begin play next Monday.
In MLS news, two alums of Notre Dame added to their accounts this weekend.
The frontrunner for the MLS Rookie of the Year award, Harrison Shipp has put even more room between him and the others after his two-goal performance for the Chicago Fire last weekend.
After a two-assist performance the week prior, Powers continued his helping ways by bending an in-swinger into the box onto the head of a Rapids midfielder who nestled the ball in the back of the net.
Morrow checked into last week’s contest with the San Jose Earthquake with his Toronto FC club up 1-0 in the 81st minute. Morrow helped shut the door on the Earthquake and secure three points for Toronto.
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☀️🌸 One of those picture perfect days. #GoIrish https://t.co/qiB5wu5Z4t 41 minutes ago
- And our hearts forever. With a little help, @NDsoftball’s four seniors held their graduation celebration a few day… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 19 hours ago
- 🎓☘️ @NDFootball celebrated the Class of 2019 at this weekend's Commencement ceremonies. #GoIrish https://t.co/KR9k3GCKdS 20 hours ago
- ☘️ Payton Tidd ☘️ Katie Marino ☘️ Ali Wester ☘️ Cait Brooks ☘️ MK Bonamy FIVE @NDsoftball student-athletes earned… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 21 hours ago
- ✌️ Irish student-athletes. ✌️ NCAA top rankings. @NDXCTF's Jess Harris and Yared Nuguse sit atop the 1,500m stand… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 22 hours ago