Jun 10, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Not only has a former Notre Dame men’s soccer student-athlete landed on the ground in Brazil for the 2014 FIFA World Cup, but a few other alums are making their presence felt in the MLS.
After a storied career at Notre Dame, 2009 graduate Matt Besler was drafted by the Kansas City Wizards (now Sporting KC) of the MLS and now is a member of the United States Men’s National Team. Over the weekend, the USMNT landed in Brazil for the 2014 World Cup and will begin play next Monday.
In MLS news, two alums of Notre Dame added to their accounts this weekend.
The frontrunner for the MLS Rookie of the Year award, Harrison Shipp has put even more room between him and the others after his two-goal performance for the Chicago Fire last weekend.
After a two-assist performance the week prior, Powers continued his helping ways by bending an in-swinger into the box onto the head of a Rapids midfielder who nestled the ball in the back of the net.
Morrow checked into last week’s contest with the San Jose Earthquake with his Toronto FC club up 1-0 in the 81st minute. Morrow helped shut the door on the Earthquake and secure three points for Toronto.
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ Philadelphia Invitational National champions @NDFencing turned in a 5-1 mark to cap successful East Coast weeken… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 17 minutes ago
- No. 12 @NDHockey left the @UnitedCenter in Chicago with two points against Wisconsin. Check out all the highlights… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 48 minutes ago
- ✌️ double-doubles. ☝️ ACC victory. No. 1 @NDwbb grounded Boston College at home, 92-63, and picked up its 1️⃣1️⃣th… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 hours ago
- “Be the kind of person who not only understands the injustices of this life, but is also willing to do something ab… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- 😍 No. 12 @NDHockey’s ready for a Big Ten clash with Wisconsin at the @UnitedCenter. 📺Big Ten Network #GoIrish https://t.co/JImhg70Nfx 19 hours ago