Jun 11, 2014, 9:37 PM EST
Throughout your life when you return to school after summer vacation you are peppered with one simple question, “What did you do during the summer?” For the Notre Dame men’s soccer team that question will most definitely be a two-part answer. I don’t know how the last 75 days of summer vacation will go for the returning members of the 2013 NCAA Champions, but I can say that the 21 days the squad was abroad will be the highlight of the summer.
Every four years the NCAA allows each program to take a trip abroad as a team-building exercise. In most cases you see squads take trips to countries that many people dream to go to at some point in their lives for a relaxing vacation or to cross off a legendary golf course on their bucket list. What the men’s soccer team did for 21 days was nothing short of fantastic – they took a trip predicated on service … to a third-world country.
The men’s soccer program is one of my favorite to work with here at Notre Dame. From their head coach, Bobby Clark (or “Boss”), to their assistant coaches B.J. Craig and Greg Dalby to all the fantastic student-athletes on the team. As far as the journey to Africa, I think this program was one of the few at Notre Dame who could pull off such a trip due to the length, nature and environment.
The men’s soccer program brought along Ryan Camden (Fighting Irish Digital Media) to document the trip and bring those not in the travel party a unique look at what went on during their trip to Zimbabwe to spread the Grassroot Soccer mission of using soccer as a means for educating children about health. Returning from Africa days ago, Camden is beginning to put together a variety of videos focusing on pieces of the trip abroad. Let’s look at the first video from #NDinAfrica…
ARRIVING IN ZIMBABWE
In addition to this video, Camden will create an additional videos from the trip that will chronicle the visit to Victoria Falls and a safari, a trip to the Matapos and the Great Zimbabwe Ruins, the impact the trip had on Grassroot Soccer and a look at the six matches the Irish played in Zimbabwe.
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ Philadelphia Invitational National champions @NDFencing turned in a 5-1 mark to cap successful East Coast weeken… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 49 minutes ago
- No. 12 @NDHockey left the @UnitedCenter in Chicago with two points against Wisconsin. Check out all the highlights… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
- ✌️ double-doubles. ☝️ ACC victory. No. 1 @NDwbb grounded Boston College at home, 92-63, and picked up its 1️⃣1️⃣th… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 hours ago
- “Be the kind of person who not only understands the injustices of this life, but is also willing to do something ab… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 hours ago
- 😍 No. 12 @NDHockey’s ready for a Big Ten clash with Wisconsin at the @UnitedCenter. 📺Big Ten Network #GoIrish https://t.co/JImhg70Nfx 20 hours ago