Jun 11, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Throughout your life when you return to school after summer vacation you are peppered with one simple question, “What did you do during the summer?” For the Notre Dame men’s soccer team that question will most definitely be a two-part answer. I don’t know how the last 75 days of summer vacation will go for the returning members of the 2013 NCAA Champions, but I can say that the 21 days the squad was abroad will be the highlight of the summer.
Every four years the NCAA allows each program to take a trip abroad as a team-building exercise. In most cases you see squads take trips to countries that many people dream to go to at some point in their lives for a relaxing vacation or to cross off a legendary golf course on their bucket list. What the men’s soccer team did for 21 days was nothing short of fantastic – they took a trip predicated on service … to a third-world country.
The men’s soccer program is one of my favorite to work with here at Notre Dame. From their head coach, Bobby Clark (or “Boss”), to their assistant coaches B.J. Craig and Greg Dalby to all the fantastic student-athletes on the team. As far as the journey to Africa, I think this program was one of the few at Notre Dame who could pull off such a trip due to the length, nature and environment.
The men’s soccer program brought along Ryan Camden (Fighting Irish Digital Media) to document the trip and bring those not in the travel party a unique look at what went on during their trip to Zimbabwe to spread the Grassroot Soccer mission of using soccer as a means for educating children about health. Returning from Africa days ago, Camden is beginning to put together a variety of videos focusing on pieces of the trip abroad. Let’s look at the first video from #NDinAfrica…
ARRIVING IN ZIMBABWE
In addition to this video, Camden will create an additional videos from the trip that will chronicle the visit to Victoria Falls and a safari, a trip to the Matapos and the Great Zimbabwe Ruins, the impact the trip had on Grassroot Soccer and a look at the six matches the Irish played in Zimbabwe.
- Football. Notre Dame-USC Preview: The Unrivaled Rivalry
- M. Lacrosse. NYC Networking Trip Up Next On Notre Dame Lacrosse Fall Experience
- M. Tennis. Irish Set To Compete At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Basketball. Trio to Represent Irish at ACC Media Day
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Ice Hockey. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Ice Hockey. #5/6 Irish Prepped For Sacred Heart Series
- W. Soccer. Notre Dame Travels to #18 Florida State
- W. Basketball. Season Ticket Holder Open Practice Set for Oct. 23
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Undone By Penalties At #19 Akron, 2-0
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- There's some South Bend strength in all of us. Come Saturday, we're all behind @NDFootball. #GoIrish #BeatTrojans https://t.co/b5VxgpMfdr 6 hours ago
- No. 5/6 @NDHockey continues its homestand on Thursday and Friday. 🎟: bit.ly/2zznTp1 #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-hocke… 9 hours ago
- How is @NDFootball going to play on Saturday? (Yep, we think this sums it up.) #GoIrish #BeatTrojans https://t.co/8PT2IEWk3y 9 hours ago
- Good luck to @NDmbb alum @PlanetPat5, kicking off the @NBA season with the @trailblazers. Look back at Pat's top… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- Give @NDmbb alum Jack Cooley 2 cans of paint & he’ll work out his “traps” while grabbing 10 boards. 👀… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago