Jun 11, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Throughout your life when you return to school after summer vacation you are peppered with one simple question, “What did you do during the summer?” For the Notre Dame men’s soccer team that question will most definitely be a two-part answer. I don’t know how the last 75 days of summer vacation will go for the returning members of the 2013 NCAA Champions, but I can say that the 21 days the squad was abroad will be the highlight of the summer.
Every four years the NCAA allows each program to take a trip abroad as a team-building exercise. In most cases you see squads take trips to countries that many people dream to go to at some point in their lives for a relaxing vacation or to cross off a legendary golf course on their bucket list. What the men’s soccer team did for 21 days was nothing short of fantastic – they took a trip predicated on service … to a third-world country.
The men’s soccer program is one of my favorite to work with here at Notre Dame. From their head coach, Bobby Clark (or “Boss”), to their assistant coaches B.J. Craig and Greg Dalby to all the fantastic student-athletes on the team. As far as the journey to Africa, I think this program was one of the few at Notre Dame who could pull off such a trip due to the length, nature and environment.
The men’s soccer program brought along Ryan Camden (Fighting Irish Digital Media) to document the trip and bring those not in the travel party a unique look at what went on during their trip to Zimbabwe to spread the Grassroot Soccer mission of using soccer as a means for educating children about health. Returning from Africa days ago, Camden is beginning to put together a variety of videos focusing on pieces of the trip abroad. Let’s look at the first video from #NDinAfrica…
ARRIVING IN ZIMBABWE
In addition to this video, Camden will create an additional videos from the trip that will chronicle the visit to Victoria Falls and a safari, a trip to the Matapos and the Great Zimbabwe Ruins, the impact the trip had on Grassroot Soccer and a look at the six matches the Irish played in Zimbabwe.
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☀️🌸 One of those picture perfect days. #GoIrish https://t.co/qiB5wu5Z4t 1 hour ago
- And our hearts forever. With a little help, @NDsoftball’s four seniors held their graduation celebration a few day… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 19 hours ago
- 🎓☘️ @NDFootball celebrated the Class of 2019 at this weekend's Commencement ceremonies. #GoIrish https://t.co/KR9k3GCKdS 21 hours ago
- ☘️ Payton Tidd ☘️ Katie Marino ☘️ Ali Wester ☘️ Cait Brooks ☘️ MK Bonamy FIVE @NDsoftball student-athletes earned… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 22 hours ago
- ✌️ Irish student-athletes. ✌️ NCAA top rankings. @NDXCTF's Jess Harris and Yared Nuguse sit atop the 1,500m stand… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 23 hours ago