Jun 13, 2014, 2:12 AM EDT
When I began in this position in the summer of 2013, one of the first one-on-one interviews I participated in was with Irish men’s soccer alum Matt Besler. Besler, a 2009 graduate of Notre Dame, was in the middle of his MLS season with Sporting KC and had just recently began to make his mark as a member of the United States Men’s National Team. After the interview (which you can find by clicking here), I researched the history of the men’s soccer program at Notre Dame and I began to understand the magnitude of the accomplishment that Besler had made by playing with the National Team and the possibilities he had in the future with the 2014 World Cup just a year away. Needless to say, I made it my duty to try to magnify the situation as much as possible and sent out 178 tweets (yes, I just counted) in an attempt to show people that what he was in the process of accomplishing was a first in Notre Dame history.
Fast-forward almost a year and we have just begun the 2014 World Cup. The young defender from Kansas is no longer “just” an Academic All-American, he was named captain of his club team after winning MLS Cup in 2013, is a member of the United States Men’s National Team roster for the World Cup and is slated to be among the Starting XI when the squad kicks off its first game on Monday (June 16th) against Ghana. All this from a kid who was nicknamed “Country Boy” while he was at Notre Dame.
Besler’s Social Rise
In an effort to show Besler’s meteoric rise, let’s take a look at his following on the popular social media site Twitter. According to a tweet I sent out back in July of 2013, just after I interviewed Besler, he had about 12,000 followers. Today, Besler’s account, @MBesler, has a follower account just south of 56,000.
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) July 29, 2013
Besler At Notre Dame
In his time at Notre Dame, Besler was a quiet leader. While donning the blue and gold, he played in 90 matches, including 73 starts, from 2005-08 and netted five goals and seven assists. He earned first team All-America and first team Academic All-America honors as a senior. Besler was a three-time all-BIG EAST honoree and was named the 2008 National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Scholar-Athlete of the Year.
Besler’s Fourth Career Goal
Still not convinced that Besler is a big deal? Did I mention he was just in Rolling Stone? Yes, that Rolling Stone. (Click here to read the interview with Rolling Stone)
- M. Ice Hockey. Holmberg And Novak Added To Hockey Roster
- Monogram Club. Justice Alan Page To Receive Monogram Club’s Moose Krause Award
- W. Rowing. Shamrock Sisters Are Top 10 At World Championship
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Michigan
- W. Lacrosse. Eleven Freshmen Bring Versatility and Depth
- W. Soccer. Ten Questions: Kaela Little
- M. Lacrosse. Landis to Play in US Lacrosse Grand Opening Game
- W. Golf. Women’s Golf Faces Challenging 2016-17 Schedule
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish, Valpo Claw To Draw 1-1 In Scrimmage Finale
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame 2016-17 Swimming and Diving Schedule Released
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ Torii Hunter Jr. 🏈 Wide Receiver ⚾️ @NDBaseball Outfielder 🙌 2016 @NDFootball Captain 👀@THunterJr https://t.co/Pn9NED4zxL 2 hours ago
- "Realize how blessed you are to be here."-Isaac Rochell The 2016 captains explain what it means to lead @NDFootball amp.twimg.com/v/0a8b11c9-b8d… 5 hours ago
- 🏈 @NDFootball Swag Suit up for the 2016 season with the new UA Shamrock Series gear. BUY: shop.und.com/Notre_Dame_Fig… https://t.co/QJecvye7Zm 21 hours ago
- 📝@NDmbb coach Mike Brey's summer checklist ⚾️Throw 1st pitch @ Wrigley Field 🎤Lead @Cubs through 7th-inning stretch amp.twimg.com/v/ed99099d-fd5… 22 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The road to @NotreDame degrees & national titles begins. Day 1 of 2016-17 school year. Welcome back, students! https:/… 1 day ago