Jun 19, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
One of the more steady programs within our athletics stable here at Notre Dame has been the women’s golf squad. Not only one of the more studious on campus, the team has also continued a trend of qualifying for NCAA’s (not an easy feat for a school at over 41 degrees north of the equator).
Let’s stop talking about the past and instead let’s turn to the future. Well, let’s turn to the very near future. This weekend, there are two former Notre Dame women’s golfers (Noriko Nakazaki & Becca Huffer) and two current members (Jordan Ferreira & Kari Bellville) who will be teeing it up with some of the best players in the world.
Ferreira At The Open
Ferreira, a rising sophomore, is the lone Irish connection playing in one of the biggest women’s golfing events on the calendar, the United States Women’s Open. For the first time in recent memory, the Women’s Open will be played on the same course as the Men’s Open was just one week prior, famed Pinehurst No. 2. The Women’s Open is one of the major tournaments on the women’s golf scene throughout the calendar year and welcomes one of the strongest fields throughout the year.
The Trio On Tour
Incoming freshman Kari Bellville joins alums Noriko Nakazaki and Becca Huffer in this weekend’s Symetra Tour event at Blackthorn Golf Course (just 15 minutes west of Notre Dame). The Symetra tour is the developmental tour for the LPGA tour (if you follow men’s golf, the Symetra Tour is parallel with the Web.com Tour) and on most weekends is littered with a variety of up-and-coming talent from around the country. This weekend’s field at Blackthorn Golf Course is stronger than usual as the golfers that are normally playing on the LPGA Tour, but were unable to qualify for the U.S. Open, are pegging it on the Symetra Tour.
My guess is when you play with these four, they will be playing from the fairway for the most part and you will be the only one yelling “fore.”
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
- Baseball. Gilgenbach's Two-Homer Day Takes Series At No. 9 LSU
- M. Tennis. #22 Irish Drop 4-3 Heartbreaker To #20 Blue Devils
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Wrap Last Road Game with 89-55 Win at Boston College
- W. Lacrosse. No. 16 Notre Dame blows by Stetson, 21-7
- Softball. #RV Irish Go 3-1 Versus #14 Minny, #20 UM At B1G/ACC
- M. Golf. Men's Golf to Compete at Prestige at PGA West
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- We couldn't let #PresidentsDay pass without honoring one of our all-time great alumni, President Jed Bartlet.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 34 minutes ago
- The last time @NDmbb took the floor, Matt Farrell broke open the record books with his 1️⃣0️⃣ made threes! The Iri… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Freshman Cameron Corse took the third set of her match to give the Irish a 4-3 win over Indiana! Catch up on all t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- 4️⃣ players with 🎩 tricks = @NDWomensLax win! The No. 16 Irish closed out their Florida road trip with a 21-7 win… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- No. 5 @ndwbb won its final regular-season road game of the year, downing Boston College, 89-55. Kristina Nelson's… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago