Jun 19, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
One of the more steady programs within our athletics stable here at Notre Dame has been the women’s golf squad. Not only one of the more studious on campus, the team has also continued a trend of qualifying for NCAA’s (not an easy feat for a school at over 41 degrees north of the equator).
Let’s stop talking about the past and instead let’s turn to the future. Well, let’s turn to the very near future. This weekend, there are two former Notre Dame women’s golfers (Noriko Nakazaki & Becca Huffer) and two current members (Jordan Ferreira & Kari Bellville) who will be teeing it up with some of the best players in the world.
Ferreira At The Open
Ferreira, a rising sophomore, is the lone Irish connection playing in one of the biggest women’s golfing events on the calendar, the United States Women’s Open. For the first time in recent memory, the Women’s Open will be played on the same course as the Men’s Open was just one week prior, famed Pinehurst No. 2. The Women’s Open is one of the major tournaments on the women’s golf scene throughout the calendar year and welcomes one of the strongest fields throughout the year.
The Trio On Tour
Incoming freshman Kari Bellville joins alums Noriko Nakazaki and Becca Huffer in this weekend’s Symetra Tour event at Blackthorn Golf Course (just 15 minutes west of Notre Dame). The Symetra tour is the developmental tour for the LPGA tour (if you follow men’s golf, the Symetra Tour is parallel with the Web.com Tour) and on most weekends is littered with a variety of up-and-coming talent from around the country. This weekend’s field at Blackthorn Golf Course is stronger than usual as the golfers that are normally playing on the LPGA Tour, but were unable to qualify for the U.S. Open, are pegging it on the Symetra Tour.
My guess is when you play with these four, they will be playing from the fairway for the most part and you will be the only one yelling “fore.”
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Robinson Way More Than Meets the Eye
- Softball. Irish Rally For Split With #24 Arkansas
- Football. Isaac Rochell Selected By The Los Angeles Chargers
- Track. Richartz Takes First At Penn Relays Finale
- W. Rowing. Irish Finish Second In Abbreviated Dale England Cup
- Baseball. Vierling Walks-Off Duke To Take Series
- M. Lacrosse. Irish and Tar Heels Square Off For ACC Championship Crown
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: #6 Irish Holds Off #4 Duke
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Down Duke To Earn Spot In Sunday's ACC Championship Title Game
- M. Soccer. Irish Play Before Capacity Crowd In Mexico Doubleheader
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈Living the NFL Dream! Congrats, @NDFootball captain Isaac Rochell on being the @Chargers 225th overall pick. 👀… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 10 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH TAKE SERIES FROM DUKE! Matt Vierling's walk-off triple gives @NDBaseball a 3-2 victory over the Blue Devi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ IRISH ROCKET TO ACC TITLE GAME! @NDlacrosse returns to @ACCMLax Championship with 7-6 win over Duke. NEXT: ND vs. UN… 18 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH ROCKET TO ACC TITLE GAME! @NDlacrosse returns to @ACCMLax Championship with 7-6 win over Duke. NEXT: ND v… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏈 KIZER TO THE BROWNS! With the 52nd overall pick, Cleveland @Browns select @NDFootball QB DeShone Kizer.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago