Jun 19, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
One of the more steady programs within our athletics stable here at Notre Dame has been the women’s golf squad. Not only one of the more studious on campus, the team has also continued a trend of qualifying for NCAA’s (not an easy feat for a school at over 41 degrees north of the equator).
Let’s stop talking about the past and instead let’s turn to the future. Well, let’s turn to the very near future. This weekend, there are two former Notre Dame women’s golfers (Noriko Nakazaki & Becca Huffer) and two current members (Jordan Ferreira & Kari Bellville) who will be teeing it up with some of the best players in the world.
Ferreira At The Open
Ferreira, a rising sophomore, is the lone Irish connection playing in one of the biggest women’s golfing events on the calendar, the United States Women’s Open. For the first time in recent memory, the Women’s Open will be played on the same course as the Men’s Open was just one week prior, famed Pinehurst No. 2. The Women’s Open is one of the major tournaments on the women’s golf scene throughout the calendar year and welcomes one of the strongest fields throughout the year.
The Trio On Tour
Incoming freshman Kari Bellville joins alums Noriko Nakazaki and Becca Huffer in this weekend’s Symetra Tour event at Blackthorn Golf Course (just 15 minutes west of Notre Dame). The Symetra tour is the developmental tour for the LPGA tour (if you follow men’s golf, the Symetra Tour is parallel with the Web.com Tour) and on most weekends is littered with a variety of up-and-coming talent from around the country. This weekend’s field at Blackthorn Golf Course is stronger than usual as the golfers that are normally playing on the LPGA Tour, but were unable to qualify for the U.S. Open, are pegging it on the Symetra Tour.
My guess is when you play with these four, they will be playing from the fairway for the most part and you will be the only one yelling “fore.”
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Fencing. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- W. Soccer. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Football. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 minutes ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago
- HALL OF FAME: One Step Away @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw is a finalist for Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. und.com/sports/w-baskb… 1 day ago
- ☘️ @NDHockey Goalie Cal Petersen: 🏒 Tied for 1st in NCAA Shutouts. 💯 @Hockey_East Defensive Player of the Week. und.com/sports/m-hocke… 2 days ago