Jun 19, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
One of the more steady programs within our athletics stable here at Notre Dame has been the women’s golf squad. Not only one of the more studious on campus, the team has also continued a trend of qualifying for NCAA’s (not an easy feat for a school at over 41 degrees north of the equator).
Let’s stop talking about the past and instead let’s turn to the future. Well, let’s turn to the very near future. This weekend, there are two former Notre Dame women’s golfers (Noriko Nakazaki & Becca Huffer) and two current members (Jordan Ferreira & Kari Bellville) who will be teeing it up with some of the best players in the world.
Ferreira At The Open
Ferreira, a rising sophomore, is the lone Irish connection playing in one of the biggest women’s golfing events on the calendar, the United States Women’s Open. For the first time in recent memory, the Women’s Open will be played on the same course as the Men’s Open was just one week prior, famed Pinehurst No. 2. The Women’s Open is one of the major tournaments on the women’s golf scene throughout the calendar year and welcomes one of the strongest fields throughout the year.
The Trio On Tour
Incoming freshman Kari Bellville joins alums Noriko Nakazaki and Becca Huffer in this weekend’s Symetra Tour event at Blackthorn Golf Course (just 15 minutes west of Notre Dame). The Symetra tour is the developmental tour for the LPGA tour (if you follow men’s golf, the Symetra Tour is parallel with the Web.com Tour) and on most weekends is littered with a variety of up-and-coming talent from around the country. This weekend’s field at Blackthorn Golf Course is stronger than usual as the golfers that are normally playing on the LPGA Tour, but were unable to qualify for the U.S. Open, are pegging it on the Symetra Tour.
My guess is when you play with these four, they will be playing from the fairway for the most part and you will be the only one yelling “fore.”
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- A life taken too soon, a student-athlete and friend with so much to give. Tonight, we are lifting our prayers to t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 8 hours ago
- Enjoy the process. @NDFootball kicker Justin Yoon has learned to take whatever comes his way with a smile.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 9 hours ago
- 3️⃣0️⃣ years, countless memories. @NDSoccer celebrated the start of the program's 30th season by taking a look bac… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago
- The ☝️st @NDFootball road 🛣 trip is on deck! The No. 8 Irish head to Wake Forest to battle the Demon Deacons, Satu… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 11 hours ago
- 2️⃣0️⃣ former @NDHockey players are headed to @NHL training camps this fall. Find out where your favorite Irish ☘️… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 13 hours ago